Can I chop and re-root this cactus

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
SpinyNorman

Can I chop and re-root this cactus

Post by SpinyNorman »

A few years ago I decided to rescue some cacti that had been sitting in a glass bowl of sand for many years. They've recovered well, but the restriction of their early lives is really clear in their lower sections, meaning whilst the tops are looking healthy, the lower parts really aren't. See below.
Golden barrel cactus.png
Golden barrel cactus.png (342.3 KiB) Viewed 1621 times
My question is, can i slice the healthy top parts off, let them callous and then put them on some decent compost mix to re-root? Advice much appreciated!
cactushobbyman

Re: Can I chop and re-root this cactus

Post by cactushobbyman »

Unless the corked area is mushy, why not just re-pot it. I would put it in a big enough pot to cover the corked area with some kind of small rock. And it is not a golden barrel. Maybe notocactus magnificus. 8)
Onzuka

Post by Onzuka »

cactushobbyman wrote:Unless the corked area is mushy, why not just re-pot it. I would put it in a big enough pot to cover the corked area with some kind of small rock. And it is not a golden barrel. Maybe notocactus magnificus. 8)
I had it down as Notocactus (Parodia) warassii, but may well be wrong.

Steve
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Yea its a parodia magnificent i think
My balloon cactus (noto cactus magnificent) is a light greening.- but i could be wrong lol

U could cut it if u like but id suggest letting it dry for a while after you put sulfur powder on the open cut area before setting it on some dry dry dry soil and don't water Until.roots start growing
SpinyNorman

Post by SpinyNorman »

Marvellous, thanks so much everyone, two options there, will have a think which is better. Am still minded to cut and reroot, the thin corked area really is dull. Thanks for the ID too, was merely saying Golden Barrel as that's what it was passed over to me as being. Suspect it shows how little the original owner knew of cactii and their care generally. Thanks again!
Ivan C

Post by Ivan C »

I too think it is Notocactus (Parodia) warassii. If you leave it as is and give it some care you should end up with lots of pups that you can experiment with.
P. warassii pups.jpg
P. warassii pups.jpg (49.51 KiB) Viewed 1547 times
SpinyNorman

Post by SpinyNorman »

Ooh, now that I would love. It's one of my favourite cacti out of those I've been given, have been waiting for it to produce pups for ages!
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

All it would Need is sun, water, love and some food in growing season and you'll get pups in no time!