Fockea edulis squishy/soft

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
HairyHarry

Fockea edulis squishy/soft

Post by HairyHarry »

It is my first winter with this plant, and I am not sure what to do. Generally with succulents i see squishy as a sign there was too much watering. But in this case....

It is hardly dormant, has only shed a few leafs. So far I gave it a tiny splash of water every two-three weeks or so, as I would most caudex in winter, just to give the roots enough to stay healthy.

So, what is this? Over- or underwatering?
KittieKAT

Re: Fockea edulis squishy/soft

Post by KittieKAT »

ID check the roots, Maybe its root rott, do u have a picture too show us what yr plant looks like? Maybe there's a bigger issue that's causing it to get squishy, or maybe it's just doing its thing.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Define soft.
I know my Phyllanthus mirabilis gets soft too during the winter. I had it for the first time with me last winter, and I got the feeling it might die. It felt really that soft, while in full growth the trunk would feel hard. A bit frighting. But my Phyllanthus recovered in spring and plumped up again. Maybe the same thing is going on with your Fockea, just normal behaviour. I kept my Phyllanthus completely dry for a few months, though, and it had shed it leaves.
HairyHarry

Post by HairyHarry »

Thx for the replies. Squishy might not be the word. It is not as soft as a rotting cactus. It is simply not as hard as it usually is, but if i push it with one finger it doesn't dent or anything.

I think it is early stages, but the two possible solutions are eachothers opposite, which makes it a hard call for me. I'll check the roots tomorrow and post photos.
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

It could be from the child aswell, that happens to my jades and my other fleshy leaved succulents when the temps drop a bit. But feel free to ad picture's I'm sure we'll figure it out.
HairyHarry

Post by HairyHarry »

I did a root check, but wasn't able to take pictures. It seemed to be too dry; very bristle roots. So I watered it more gently than I had done earlier this winter, and it is already doing better. I'll keep it on the dry side this winter, but not as rigorous as I did so far.

Thanks all.
phyllonemus

Post by phyllonemus »

My experience with Fockea edulis is in general
that they're caudex is softer than my other caudex plants.
Specialy while dormant.
“Everything is possible. The impossible just takes longer.”