Help: Cactus is sick

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
tgreene

Help: Cactus is sick

Post by tgreene »

IMG_0354.JPG
IMG_0354.JPG (27.95 KiB) Viewed 848 times
IMG_0353.JPG
IMG_0353.JPG (30.07 KiB) Viewed 848 times
Hello - I am not sure what type of cactus this is, but I have had it for about 6 months and it's starting to wither up. Any suggestions? Thanks!
iann

Re: Help: Cactus is sick

Post by iann »

Not a cactus. Aloe. Probably overwatered at some point, possibly months ago. Does that pot have drainage holes in the bottom?
--ian
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Thespikes on the top if the aloes lower set of leaves could have punctured the leaf above its flesh and caused it to slowly die, its happened to mine a few times, just remove the dead leave with scissors by cutting at the base of the leaf near the stock, it will be fine. But id suggest sticking a piece of Perlite or a small rock pebble between the bottom and upper leaves spikes so it doesn't happen again.
Also use a pot with drainage holes in a mix of 50:50 cacti and succulent mix and perlite, Sift the heavy material outta the cacti and succulent mix (the sticks and forest material) outta it with a grate or a small plastic pots drainage holes shaking it do it strains the bigger sticks and stuff outta it before adding the perlite. And only water when the soil is dry to the touch.
tgreene

Post by tgreene »

Thank you for the help! There are drainage holes. I will remove the withered part, and re-pot. I think it's outgrowing this little pot anyway.
iann

Post by iann »

Aloes have quite large fleshy roots, but don't go mad with the pot size. They are reasonably thirsty in growth (summer for this one?), but still don't like sitting in masses of wet soil for too long. Unless more leaves go quickly then it doesn't look fatal.
--ian
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Use a pot about a half an inch to and inch bigger then the plant's root ball, clear all the old soil from the roots before repotting with the new soil mix. Goodluck