Yellowing Cactus...Is it dying??

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Alexxis

Yellowing Cactus...Is it dying??

Post by Alexxis »

Hi there...
Please forgive my lack of knowledge and correct terminology. I have had this cactus for 12 years...in a pot, on my small patio deck, with about 3-4 hours of sun a day. It has always been bright green with no scars. I moved last year to a house where I planted it in the ground in full sun. At first, the parts of the cactus were shying away from the sun and I noticed dark red blotches...really looked like blood blisters. I thought it would get used to the sun, and come back but I guess it didnt. It may also have been watered a little more #-o . I would have moved it sooner but its a pretty big cactus and needs a few people to help which I couldn't find until recently. Some of the arms were filled with water, were mushy and bent over. I read somewhere to cut those pieces off which I did, yesterday as well as taking it out of the ground and put it in a pot with some miracle grow and just a little bit of water to melt the miracle grow beads. I am not sure if should have let it dry out?? My main question is, will it ever get green again? Or is it really dying? The roots were not wet. The main stem is not mushy, its still really hard. Thanks!!!
Attachments
cactus.jpg
cactus.jpg (29.53 KiB) Viewed 832 times
majcka

Re: Yellowing Cactus...Is it dying??

Post by majcka »

It is an Euphorbia!!!!

I can't see good enough to say exactly what it is, but siol mix doesn't look too good for Euphorbia. The mix should be drained well.
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Alexxis wrote:The roots were not wet. The main stem is not mushy, its still really hard. Thanks!!!
Any non-sphaeroid succulent might also be dying by simple drying out. This does not mean it needs water. It just means it getting mushy is not the only indication of dying tissue.

By the looks of your plant, I would not expect it to live. Maybe put it in some porous soil with good drainage (half of the soil mixed with rocks and such) might save it.
Alexxis

Post by Alexxis »

Thanks for the responses. I was hoping maybe there was some saving grace given its still standing... lol.
Attachments
IMG_20150124_110554311.jpg
IMG_20150124_110554311.jpg (39.39 KiB) Viewed 807 times
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

I don't think I've ever seen an euphorbia that yellow before...i wouldn't say that's a good thing.
U shouldn't use any medium that isn't atleast 50:50 cacti and succulent Mixx and perlite and sift the heavy sticks and mulch outta the cacti and succulent Mixx first before adding the perlite and mixingit together to repot. Or use a coarse stone medium which u can search on here for what people use or suggest for ur plant, thoe im not too sure it will live and if it does live it may never be green again. Yr pot needs drainage holes incase u don't have them, and less water is more water when it comes to cacti and succulents, and yours is a succulent.
Maybe the places u cut will create offsets which u can remove and repot into small pots with the right mix and try to reroot it and see if it grows. But i wouldn't be so sure this big euphorbia is gonna make it.
I don't kno where u live but most cacti and succulents don't do very good outside, and when it comes to the sun they need to be slowly introduced to stronger and Stronger light so they don't scorch and can adapt to the change of strength of light.
Goodluck