What happened to my cacti?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Pieter-Jan

What happened to my cacti?

Post by Pieter-Jan »

I bought 2 cacti and potted them into the same pot. After a few days, the soil looked a bit moldy and the bottom of one of the cacti looked yellowish. A week or 2-3 later, I went abroad and when I came back, the bottom of the cacti had completely died off ...

A few days later again, I noticed the other cacti in the same pot showing similar signs... the bottom had died off, and when I uprooted it, the roots were covered in yellow slime =s (gross)...

I'll add in some pictures.

What happened here? Were my cacti the victim of some mold? What can I do to stop the proces if it happens again?

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
DSC_0006.JPG
DSC_0006.JPG (42.27 KiB) Viewed 973 times
iann

Re: What happened to my cacti?

Post by iann »

I only see one picture. Did your plants have any roots? Other than that, just the obvious unsuitable soil and unsuitable watering. I'm guessing it is winter where you are? Safest not to water at all in winter, at least until you have much better-draining soil and more experience. The soil looks like standard potting soil, almost the worst thing you could think of to grow a cactus in. It continues to baffle me that nobody has been taken to court for labelling it as cactus & succulent mix.
--ian
Pieter-Jan

Post by Pieter-Jan »

Yes, I couldn't upload more for some reason.

I did forget to mention that I switched to a cacti soil after a few days. The new soil didn't seem to work...

The cacti did have roots yes.
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

I remember me telling u you needed to repot them and that the medium was to thick and was moldy, apparently u didn't listen to me when i tried to help u. Go back to the topic you posted about the i.d of these plants and u will read my instructions for helping repot yr plants so they can thrive. Goodluck
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... =3&t=34659" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Still looks the same mix and pot as last time to me....
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Most of what's sold as cactus soil is not good cactus soil, too moisture-retentive. Generally mixing it 50-50 with drainage material such as pumice, perlite, fine gravel, is about right. See this thread - http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... 25&t=11039" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Spence :mrgreen:
Pieter-Jan

Post by Pieter-Jan »

KittieKAT wrote:http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... =3&t=34659

Still looks the same mix and pot as last time to me....
I DID switch to a different soil shortly after. I just can't seem to upload any pictures of it. The old 'original' picture was the only one that worked.
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

But then we don't kno what yr soil looks like or your plants to even kno what's wrong with them...