Still hope for this little one?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Mash

Still hope for this little one?

Post by Mash »

Hi all,

Last weekend I bought some "real plants" for the first time. (a ming aralia and a dracaena) I bought materials such as new pots, special ground, nutrition, etc, and I have been reading a lot.

However, when I went to find a place to put them, I found this little guy. He has been in my room without water for years now. I actually assumed he was dead and was too lazy to get rid of him because he still looked "okay". As I was just about to throw him out to make place for the new ones, I saw that he still seemed to have some live in him. It seems like one of the four trunks is quite green and has a new sprout?

I feel a little ashamed and would like to give this little guy a chance since he seems to have managed to keep up even though he has not received any love for years.

(He has looked exactly like this for more than 3 years now)

So far I have provided him with a tiny amount of water. I took him out of his pot and sprayed the soil a little, wetting it just slightly. I think I will spray some water onto him once a month and see where that will take me. Unless of course he is already dead?

So what do you guys think? Is it still alive? If so should I water it once a month? Or should I cut of the greener branch, or the very little one on the top?

All input is welcome!

Kind Regards,

Mash

Ps. I assume the flowers are fake? I read something about them being glued on sometimes?

HairyHarry

Re: Still hope for this little one?

Post by HairyHarry »

Flowers are fake indeed. Real flowers would've fallen off a long time ago.

The three(?) on the left are goners, get rid of them. You can probably pull them out easily. The green part has a chance, but it is hard to say for sure based on this picture. The roots might tell you more, they shouldn't break or fall of when you move them about. I would very slowly try to bring the roots back to life first, with very little water. When spring really hits your town you can start with regular watering.
The soil seems a bit heavy. Maybe combine a rootcheck with a repot with proper soil.

I don't think the tiny one on top has enough energy in it to root itself. But you can always try. It ain't doing much on top of big fella anyway.
Mash

Post by Mash »

Thanks Harry. I will attempt to save the big one (and update with pictures) !
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Just separate the big one with yr little guy growing on top of it and repot it water it every time the soil is dry to the touch, a mix of 50/50 sifted cacti and succulent soil and perlite should be fine and if the fake flowers are easy to detach just take it off lol its a horrible thing anyways, he'll prob survive just give him a chance
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Yes, it's clearly a very tough plant since it survived years without water.
Spence :mrgreen: