Rebutia with damp smelling soil

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
MadridPeter

Rebutia with damp smelling soil

Post by MadridPeter »

Hi folks its me again..I have a flowering rebutia which I was going to water but noticed bits of what seemed to be fungus on the soil surface...i removed the plant from its pot just now and have left it sitting on a plate hoping it might avoid stem being hit by fungus which I don't think it has...stem has nice healthy green colour ..did I do the right thing? Should I leave the plant on a plate? It has 4 budding flowers ..would prefer not to lose them
greenknight

Re: Rebutia with damp smelling soil

Post by greenknight »

Fungus in the soil is likely not a problem - most fungi live on dead stuff, if you don't see any root or other rot there's nothing to worry about right now. It might be a sign there's too much organic matter in the soil, you might want to repot with a more mineral mix - but you could wait until after it blooms.

If there's no sign of rot, I would put it back in its pot and enjoy the flowers. :)
Spence :mrgreen:
7george

Post by 7george »

I would leave the plant in the same upright position and bare-rooted, in an empty pot filled with some rocks, perlite or other coarse inorganic material for days or even weeks until I figure out in what new-formulated mix should I place it. It will continue to bloom the same way, as cuttings do. Watering is not a need for most flowering cacti.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
MadridPeter

Post by MadridPeter »

Thanks very much! In the end I repotted it in different soil and it seems fine and has plenty of buds!!