When Is Hibernation Over?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
easternmostcactus

When Is Hibernation Over?

Post by easternmostcactus »

Hi, I purchased an optunia picardoi on a whim from Walmart. I thought that the flower on it was real, come to find out by reading on this site that it's fake. Also has some elongation from lack of light. Since it was autumn, I put it into hibernation to give it a rest. I put it in a cool, dark eave of the house. Anyway, now I am wondering how and when to retrieve it. I am located in Eastern time zone, almost into Atlantic time zone. I paid almost nothing for it but I took pity on it and want to give it a chance. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
iann

Re: When Is Hibernation Over?

Post by iann »

Bring it out into the sun. Maybe it isn't ready to grow just yet but it will benefit from the extra light. Then in a week or two, or maybe a month, it will come into growth.
--ian
easternmostcactus

Post by easternmostcactus »

Thank you for your reply. I will try that. Maybe a little water as well?
iann

Post by iann »

easternmostcactus wrote:Thank you for your reply. I will try that. Maybe a little water as well?
I don't know your conditions well enough. My plants get the benefit of greenhouse heat and I'm quite happy to water the hardier ones even when there is still the risk of freezing. Less hardy ones stay dry for a while yet.
--ian