Odd sap discharge from small cactus

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
sadhbh-rua

Odd sap discharge from small cactus

Post by sadhbh-rua »

Hi there, just wondering if this is normal. I got 5 small cacti impulsively at the hardeware store today (who can resist when they all have flower buds waiting to open!) and was trying to remove the fake paper flowers a few minutes ago.
It wasn't my best work, I can usually just trim the glue off but there was just too much and 4 out of five plants had some spines pulled out. Not a big deal, I'll repot them all in the next couple days.
As I was about to leave I noticed a thick sticky white sap started coming from where the spines used to be on one of the plants.
I've never seen this before so wondering if it's anything I should be concerned about?

Sorry about the poor photo quality, none of them have been ID'd yet
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (63.6 KiB) Viewed 7172 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (68.83 KiB) Viewed 7172 times
iann

Re: Odd sap discharge from small cactus

Post by iann »

Some Mammillarias have milky sap, which seems to be all this is.
--ian
sadhbh-rua

Post by sadhbh-rua »

thank you, sorry if it was a silly question. ive had to take a few cuttings from damaged cacti ect before and all of them were very clear and watery inside so i was taken by surprise with this :) learn something new every day!
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Be sure to mention the milky sap if you post pictures for ID - that narrows it down quite a bit.

Pretty nice plants for a hardware store, even if they did have fake flowers glued on.
Spence :mrgreen:
hegar

Post by hegar »

I agree with the fellows above: The milk-colored sap is the result of mechanical injury and some Mammillaria spp. "bleed" like that.
There is nothing to worry about.

Harald