My schlumbergera / easter cactus is dropping stems

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
havelok

My schlumbergera / easter cactus is dropping stems

Post by havelok »

I've bought a schlumbergera about six weeks ago. It has been dropping stems ever since I bought it. I don't think I'm doing something wrong in its care: it has been repotted when bought (in a cactus soil mixed with orchid bark mix), it's in a bright spot without direct sunlight and no draft or sudden temperature changes. As it's the growing season, I keep the soil slightly moist, but not wet.

I've noticed that the leafs just above the soil line have turned grey. Is that normal? Or an indication that something is wrong? When one of the stems that fell off had a grey leaf, I opened it up for inspection: the insides were mush. Is this rot? Overwatering? Something else?

I've repotted the healthy-looking stems that fell off, and they seem to be doing well. I don't want to repot every stem once it falls off until nothing is left of the original plant. Is there a way to fix the problem?
picture of the grey leafs above the soil line
picture of the grey leafs above the soil line
eastercactus.jpg (37.01 KiB) Viewed 590 times
leaf
leaf
eastercactus_leaf.jpg (178.61 KiB) Viewed 590 times
iann

Re: My schlumbergera / easter cactus is dropping stems

Post by iann »

That leaf looks rotten to me. If that is what the leaves (they're actually flat stems) at the base are like then I think you'll lose the whole plant. At least you've already saved some healthy stems.
--ian
greenknight

Re: My schlumbergera / easter cactus is dropping stems

Post by greenknight »

Back when I used to grow those, I started new ones frequently in order to have small plants to bloom on the windowsill. If you put them in small pots that they quickly fill with roots, you can get them to bloom after one year.
Spence :mrgreen: