spider mite infection and possible rot?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
HereToday

spider mite infection and possible rot?

Post by HereToday »

I transplanted my cactus to a bigger pot with cactus soil from the nursery this spring but didn't realize that it had a spider mite infection until a couple of weeks ago, have been spraying with safer's End All and horticultural oil since then. I can't seem to get rid of them all though. Now I see what looks like a spot of rot on the top. The babies had black spots on them so I took them off and planted them. It is still blooming but I am not sure what to do. Also one of the babies has a crack on the back now
IMG_2858 (640x427).jpg
IMG_2858 (640x427).jpg (157.39 KiB) Viewed 946 times
IMG_2853 (640x427).jpg
IMG_2853 (640x427).jpg (163.63 KiB) Viewed 946 times
IMG_2834 (640x427).jpg
IMG_2834 (640x427).jpg (227.7 KiB) Viewed 946 times
IMG_2835 (640x427).jpg
IMG_2835 (640x427).jpg (140.87 KiB) Viewed 946 times
I transplanted my cactus to a bigger pot with cactus soil from the nursery this spring but didn't realize that it had a spider mite infection until a couple of weeks ago, have been spraying with safer's End All and horticultural oil since then. Now I see what looks like a spot of rot on the top. The babies had black spots on them so I took them off and planted them. It is still blooming but I am not sure what to do. Also one of the babies has a crack on the back now
cactushobbyman

Re: spider mite infection and possible rot?

Post by cactushobbyman »

What you have is a very hardy cactus. It can take a light freeze, direct sun, and no water for the summer and still recover. The split can be from watering and then a quick growth. I find that oils and soaps applied and left in direct sunlight may cause more damage than the bugs. Mine are outside in full sun and we are getting 100 degrees plus everyday. If I find bugs I spray them off with the hose. I use pesticides very little and normally wash the plant off soon after I apply. :)
iann

Post by iann »

How many times have you sprayed in a couple of weeks? Not much point spraying more often than every week at most. If it didn't kill them yesterday, it isn't going to kill them today, only harm the plant. What you need to do is spray something that will kill them frequently enough to catch any newly hatched generations until they are all gone.

I can't actually see any sign of mites on your plants. How sure are you that you have an infestation?
--ian
jmoney

Post by jmoney »

I agree. I don't see anything indicating mites. The splits are probably due to overwatering.
Budding cactus enthusiast

Twitter: jmoneypn
Instagram: jmoneypn
HereToday

Post by HereToday »

Well it has alot of webs especially on the top and the smaller babies were damaged and turning brown. Even the largest baby has damage at the back (see pic). I was worried about the black spot on the large cactus and the babies that were still on it had black spots (2nd pic posted before). I thought maybe it was a parasite or rot.
IMG_2854 (640x427).jpg
IMG_2854 (640x427).jpg (192.84 KiB) Viewed 905 times
Well it has alot of webs especially on the top and the smaller babies were damaged and turning brown. Even the largest baby has damage at the back (see pic). I was worried about the black spot on the large cactus and the babies that were still on it had black spots (2nd pic posted before). I thought maybe it was a parasite or rot.
HereToday

Post by HereToday »

One smaller baby looks really bad
IMG_2859 (640x427).jpg
IMG_2859 (640x427).jpg (151 KiB) Viewed 904 times
One smaller baby looks really bad
jmoney

Post by jmoney »

Could be fungal. To check for rot, you may want to look at the roots. But those black spots makes me think it may be fungal.
Budding cactus enthusiast

Twitter: jmoneypn
Instagram: jmoneypn