Rerooting a Rebutia

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Kamos

Rerooting a Rebutia

Post by Kamos »

Any ideas for rerooting this R. fulvesetis? The base is firm, so I'm hoping it's not too far gone.
It was in a 3 1/2 in.pot. The plant is about 3 inches tall. Should I put it back in soil to reroot, or
leave it out? Thanks for any help.
DSC_0469.JPG
DSC_0469.JPG (62.86 KiB) Viewed 764 times
Neal
cactushobbyman

Re: Rerooting a Rebutia

Post by cactushobbyman »

I have done Mamms. that look like that and I just put them on top of my normal soil mix and wait. They are kept in my greenhouse so the heat is high, +100 degrees. I water lightly once to twice a week. Just a quick spray. One took over six months to start to root. :)
Kamos

Post by Kamos »

Thanks for the info cactushobbyman. I'll give that a try. Also, earlier today I took off five of the larger
offsets. Hopefully that will be a backup plan. :) Thanks again.
I'm curious if Rebutias are more sensitive to roots getting overly dry than many other cacti species.
I don't think it's from over watering, since I've only been watering once a week, and it's been very hot
the last few weeks. Anybody have any ideas on this?
Neal
iann

Post by iann »

Rebutias in general are not fond of extreme heat. All the watering in the world won't solve that and eventually it will harm them, although Rebutias are pretty tolerant (maybe less tolerant in continuous high heat). Once a week is pushing it. If your soil dries fast enough for that to be safe, then use a soil/pot combination that retains water for longer. If your pots don't dry that fast then once a week is overwatering.

Rooting shouldn't be difficult, especially for the pups. As always it might take months, or maybe just a few weeks. Make sure you clean up the base of the cactus. Something died and you want to make sure what is left is healthy. A clean cut surface is better than scraggy dead roots getting in the way.
--ian
Kamos

Post by Kamos »

Thanks for your help ian. That would explain alot, my other 3 Rebutias seem to be struggling as well!
I have them in a location where they receive a.m. sun, then shade after about 1 p. m. Might be still too
hot. I'll experiment with pot /soil and see what happens. Thanks again.
Neal
iann

Post by iann »

Also make sure to use the right sized pot. Too small and it won't hold enough water for the plant to get a drink, so you'll be watering too often. Too big for the roots to fill and soil will stay wet for too long, leading to root loss. In your climate excessive evaporation may be a bigger problem, so the soil dries out too quickly, again pushing you to water every few days. What cactushobbyman does should at least be a guide for your climate but you'll still need to adapt for your soil, etc.
--ian
Kamos

Post by Kamos »

Thank you ian, sounds like great information! Just curious, with a fresh base on the R. fulvesetis,
and after it has calused over, and put back in soil, when can I begin watering? Also, when should
the offsets get water?
Neal