a pale cerues

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
spikef35

a pale cerues

Post by spikef35 »

about a year ago i got my hands and a c. peruvianus it was a pale green now over the months it has turned pale and really dosnt grow but has a decent set of roots?
MarcMeyer

Re: a pale cerues

Post by MarcMeyer »

I'd try re-potting. The soil might be used or somethings wrong with it.. Watch out for root bugs.
spikef35

Post by spikef35 »

Ok been like this for along time and has strong roots same with the plants around it do you really suspect mealies maybe the soil has a high Ph level
hegar

Post by hegar »

I assume, that you do have a Cereus sp. cactus that is found growing naturally in a country with a tropical climate, i.e. a "jungle cactus".
Those plants do require a growing medium that does have organic matter, will need more water than a "desert cactus", and also would do better with an application of water-soluble fertilizer. If you are interested in flower production, make sure, that the second value of the formula, the phosporus (P) is high. If the plant is in a large enough pot and the growing medium (potting soil, cactus mix, etc.) has recently been replaced, there should be no reason for the plant to look pale and refuse to grow. One thing that can cause a "bleaching" of the stem segments is perhaps too much sunlight. Placing it in a slightly shadier environment would result in the "leaves", i.e. stem segments to return to a darker green color.
However, if you do not supply enough light, the plant will grow spindly and refuse to flower.

Harald
spikef35

Post by spikef35 »

it's not a tropical cactus FYI