Are these mealybugs?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
pyehol

Are these mealybugs?

Post by pyehol »

I don't know what species of cactus any of these are, but on the small round one I've found fluffy bits, I think they're mealybugs but not sure. Would a general insecticide get rid of them or is there a special cactus thing to use? Any at home type recipes would be even better than chemicals! Should I poke them off? Thanks in advance :-)

By the way! Those are dead flowers! I have picked them off since the photo, wasn't sure whether to or not but they'd pretty much fallen off anyway and spines holding them in place!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (68.94 KiB) Viewed 479 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (40.48 KiB) Viewed 479 times
CactusMad

Re: Are these mealybugs?

Post by CactusMad »

Hi,it sure looks like lots of mealy bug nests and i think I can also see an adult mealy bug there.Pick them off with a cocktail stick or something similar without damaging the cactus and squash them all.I spray liberally with Provado after I have watered my cacti if I spot any,I hate the things.Would be a good idea to treat all your cacti not just this one.Some people don't like using chemicals but I find it's the only way to get rid of them.It's a good idea to treat again 2 weeks later.