Duvalia corderoyi: too much water?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
SoilSifter

Duvalia corderoyi: too much water?

Post by SoilSifter »

I have a Duvalia corderoyi. I put it in gritty soil mix. It was ok for a while then one day I saw the problem in the first circle in the picture. I wasn't sure if that is rot or chew marks from a rodent. Then about a week later I saw more trouble indicated by the second circle. This doesn't look like typical rot and doesn't look like rodent bite marks. Am I watering the plant too much?
DSCN0416c.jpg
DSCN0416c.jpg (93.3 KiB) Viewed 1752 times
iann

Re: Duvalia corderoyi: too much water?

Post by iann »

My first guess would be scorching. I wouldn't normally expect it to start at the base, but then I don't grow Duvalia.
--ian
HP22B

Post by HP22B »

Looks like they're being roasted.
SoilSifter

Post by SoilSifter »

The greenhouse has been extra toasty lately. Odd how only one section at a time begins to die from the heat. This summer I lost a Pseudolithos migiurtinus because of excess heat. It became a sickly pale color and after a week it shriveled. Oddly, my other P. migiurtinus that was next to the first one had no problems. I moved my Duvalia corderoyi, Rhytidocaulon mccoyi, and surviving P. migiurtinus to a sunny basement window. The R. mccoyi was looking too skinny. iann and HP22B, thank you for your feedback.
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

Do you have any shade cloth or anything else to reduce light levels in your greenhouse? Plants can roast in there from a combination of too much sun and heat in a way they don't outside. I have 50% shade cloth covering mine.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
SoilSifter

Post by SoilSifter »

Saxicola, I have shade cloth but my cacti and succulents generally grow better if I don't use it.

I thought the first area I circled in the picture wouldn't get any worse. The first and second circled areas started rotting so I cut out the rot and separated the lowest section of the plant in the picture. I couldn't callous the cut on the lowest section so I tried grafting the growing tip on to an Edithcolea grandis. I didn't have another Asclepiad related plant for grafting. The scion grew fungus and the graft failed. Fortunately the original plant in the picture seems OK. I need to remember to keep it cooler than my other cacti and succulents.