Problem with Mammillaria backebergiana

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Lukaktus

Problem with Mammillaria backebergiana

Post by Lukaktus »

Hi, I have a big problem with my Mammillaria backebergiana. In the photos you can see that it lost the colour and tilted and started to cork, however the very top over the crown leftovers is fine and growing.

I have this cactus for about 2 years and never had problems, it's kept with other cacti in my collection and every other is well. After the winter it was fine, even bloomed and this started around 2-3 weeks ago.

Thanks for your help in advance.

And here to compare with her sister, the one on the right is very well (they're both grown the same)
hegar

Re: Problem with Mammillaria backebergiana

Post by hegar »

It looks like the affected cactus has the corking on one side. This would lead me to believe, that something happened like sun burn, frost damage, injury, i.e. a physiological problem, not a disease. There is even a small ridge showing at the point where the new growth started.
Whatever caused this, it looks like it is just cosmetic. Do you remember, where the plant was located, when environmental factors could have resulted in damaging the epidermis?

Harald
Lukaktus

Post by Lukaktus »

Thank you Harald.

I keep them on my balcony, they don't lack light, there were no frosts, all other cacti are fine yet something must have happened. It also shrank and turned pale, it was exactly the size of the one on the right. And yes, the top looks healthy. I'm inspecting it thoroughly every day and I haven't noticed any sudden changes for the last few days. Maybe I should check the roots or just wait?
hegar

Post by hegar »

It is difficult to say, what the best action is at this time. I did notice too, that the plant with the corking around the areoles does look skinnier and paler than the other one. Although checking the root growth and health is stressful to the plant, it may be a good idea. Just be very careful and not tear off any roots. Place the plant's roots in water and gently wash the root system. You could have a possible rot organism, root loss, or even a plant parasite like root mealybugs feeding on the root. Any of these conditions would result in the plant not looking healthy. With a rot, the top of the plant is generally the last thing to go.
Of course, you could also wait and hope for the best, especially, if you have not seen any change for the worse. If the reason for the change in your plant's appearance is no longer present, your cactus will recover. If, on the other hand, the plant looked healthy a week or two ago and out of the blue you noticed the change, then it would most likely be best to do a thorough examination of the cactus, including its root system.

Harald
iann

Post by iann »

The new growth suggests that whatever happened is finished. Just keep an eye out that it doesn't spread any further.
--ian
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

May have lost most of its roots and now starting to recover.
Lukaktus

Post by Lukaktus »

Thank you, I hope you are right and it's recovering. I separated it from other cacti just in case and I'll keep my eye on it. If I notice something disturbing, I'll ask for help again. Thanks guys.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I would take it out of the pot and check the roots, remove any dead ones, make sure there are no root mealybugs. Having the pot filled with dead roots isn't good, and if there are mealies it's best to take action as soon as possible. Then repot it with fresh medium - if the root system is much reduced in size, it might even help to move it to a smaller pot for a season.
Spence :mrgreen:
Lukaktus

Post by Lukaktus »

So I decided to inspect the roots and repot it.

Something bad happened to the roots - they all came off easily when I touched them - they were all dead. However the good news is the cactus recovered itself, there are a lot of new roots coming out of its bottom (root base?) and from the sides. What I noticed on the old roots are tiny clusters of some white like.. hairs or moss, I think it's some kind of fungus or root mealybugs (I really have no experience to assess). However it's all gone with the old roots.

Now I'm pretty sure it's my fault. This cactus was probably overwatered (although I never water more often than every two/three weeks) but the thing is - the soil was quite bad compared to other cacti I planted later, too organic thus keeping water for too long. I think that might be the reason and that's a good lesson for me. Seeing the new roots, I'm really hopeful that it will recover and I'm quite emotional towards it since it's one of the first cacti in my small collection :)

I'm going to leave it for a few days, then pot it and leave it for 1 or 2 weeks without water and then slowly start watering.

Thank you guys a lot for help and if you have any suggestions about what to do next, please share.
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

I would wash off the root area, remove any dead tissue, and leave it to dry for a few days and then re-pot. I water lightly after I re-pot; however my area is so hot I water cuttings and transplanted plants every few days. I have more issues with less water than more, but my greenhouse is 105+ degrees everyday. #-o
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Mealybugs are fuzzy white specks, not hairy looking. Probably is fungus.

Agreed on the treatment. You could also dip the roots in peroxide - never tried that myself, but some people here recommend it highly. Since you don't live in the desert, your plan to hold off watering for a week or two is a good one.

I'd put it in a pot not too much larger than its current root system, pot it on after if fills that one with roots.
Spence :mrgreen:
Lukaktus

Post by Lukaktus »

Thanks a lot, I'll follow your advice and I hope it'll fully recover.