not sure what to do...

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
roz

not sure what to do...

Post by roz »

Hi,
I'm new to growing cacti and would really appreciate some help! So, a few months ago i bought a cactus and i put it in my bedroom window as I presumed it would need a lot of light to grow.. However, it started turning a pale green/yellow colour in the sunlight and really didn't look too great. I moved it onto my bookcase, where it does still get some sunlight but it's not as direct/bright. It immediately started looking better; gaining back its bright green pigment, however I noticed it had grown a few little green 'knobs' on it (pictured - it is the plant on the right). I thought that this was indicative of it getting better but having scanned through this forum tonight it appears that when the cactus grows like this it is 'reaching out' to find more sunlight... If this is the case then I really don't know where to put it, as it seems to get 'sick' in direct sunlight!
If anyone can help that would be great - thank you x
(p.s. if needs be I can upload more pictures just let me know)
Attachments
IMG_0237.JPG
IMG_0237.JPG (48.2 KiB) Viewed 562 times
iann

Re: not sure what to do...

Post by iann »

The newest growth does look etiolated. You need to adapt the plant more slowly to the sun. Maybe not direct sun all day, but certainly some sun for at least part of the day.

The new growth should probably be removed. Some of it is etiolated, but some also reverting. If you leave it you will be left with a slightly unwieldy Opuntia instead of the curious cristate twirls.
--ian
roz

Re: not sure what to do...

Post by roz »

iann wrote:The newest growth does look etiolated. You need to adapt the plant more slowly to the sun. Maybe not direct sun all day, but certainly some sun for at least part of the day.

The new growth should probably be removed. Some of it is etiolated, but some also reverting. If you leave it you will be left with a slightly unwieldy Opuntia instead of the curious cristate twirls.
ahh, okay that sounds doable! so would a few hours each day in sunlight be okay? Oh no, that's not good :( How do I remove it? I feel awful now for leaving it and thinking I was doing it good now that I have to cut it off!