Small White Spots

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
derekw

Small White Spots

Post by derekw »

Hello cacti lovers.

My opuntia subulata has developed these small white spots within the last week. They're contained to one of three stalks and seem to be limited to the bottom and middle of the plant (for now). I can rub them off and there is no trace of them left.

Are these eggs of some kind? They don't seem substantial enough to signify a mealybug infestation, which is the most common answer I found when browsing the internet for solutions.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Attachments
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0001.JPG (62.92 KiB) Viewed 1595 times
adetheproducer

Re: Small White Spots

Post by adetheproducer »

They do look like mealies, maybe they are the young ones with the parents on the areole to the right of the picture.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
iann

Post by iann »

Certainly check out the larger possible adults on the right. The smaller spots might be something else.
--ian
derekw

Post by derekw »

Thanks—good eye. I rubbed at the larger spots with a toothpick and they seem to have been casings of some sort. Certainly no evidence of anything currently alive.

With my limited knowledge, I have to guess these are eggs, though. (I did find a dead larder beetle(?) in the tray.)

Would you recommend I spray with insecticide? Any information is helpful; I'm completely new to this.

Thanks!
SCS

Post by SCS »

Hi-

I think it's scale; which is relatively common on opuntoids. :{

Best regards, SCS
Best regards, Lisa
Shoal Creek Succulents
Brian

Post by Brian »

Insecticidal Soap seems to work really well for this. I had mealy bugs on my Austrocactus and a few sprays + some tooth pick work looks to have eradicated them. Make sure to hit the soil too as they hang out in there. If you just spray the plant you may miss some. You can buy it at any plant/garden/hardware type store. Also, if you can find ladybugs, drop a few of those on the plant. They eat them =P~
“Do you know what we call opinion in the absence of evidence? We call it prejudice.”