Sad looking panachois

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
blank_stare

Sad looking panachois

Post by blank_stare »

Hey there people,

I am a burgeoning hobby grower of panachois, and had considerable trouble with a few the I have planted. I was just wondering if this can be diagnosed, pictures attached.

I have very sandy soil where I live, if it doesn't rain, most things start to wilt within a week, drains that fast.

As you can see some are doing better than others. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

jfabiao

Re: Sad looking panachois

Post by jfabiao »

It looks like sun scorch on the first two pictures. Were the plants moved recently, or did you cut neighbouring trees?

As for the soil draining too fast, it's more of a bless than otherwise. It is a lot easier to water a dried bed than to drain a soaked one...
Z, in (mostly) sunny Lisbon.
http://jardineiroazelha.blogspot.pt/
jmoney

Post by jmoney »

They definitely looked sunburned. That first one severely sunburned.
Budding cactus enthusiast

Twitter: jmoneypn
Instagram: jmoneypn
blank_stare

Post by blank_stare »

Sorry for not replying earlier, I sort of expected an email in my inbox when someone replied to the thread.

They were cutting I bought off the internet, and I thought that direct sun would be exactly what they'd be after, so they get direct sun 6-7 hours a day.

The smaller cuttings are happy as larry. Is this just an adaption phase to a new climate? They have traveled about 450km to their new home.

Thanks for the replies.
HP22B

Post by HP22B »

They look rather robust so it's hard to think that they were burnt upon arriving in your climate, which is likely a bit milder than where they came from unless they were pampered in a greenhouse. Either way it is definitely sunburn as you can see most of the damage is on the side of the cactus facing away from the house and likely facing the sun at its peak. Nothing to do now but they will likely adapt after a while as these cacti (also pachanoi, not panachoi :D ) can typically take as much sun as you can throw at them (once adapted!).
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Yes, they should recover and do fine. The scars will give them character. :)

If you want email notification, you need to subscribe to the thread - there's a button on the bottom tool bar in the regular forum view, in the editor there's a "notify me when a reply is posted" check box.
Spence :mrgreen:
CactusDoctor

Post by CactusDoctor »

You really should use some fetilizer specifically for cactus. There is one on Amazon call Cactus Health Rejuvenator by International Cactus Experts. I used it on some transplants that were experiencing shock and it works great,
blank_stare

Post by blank_stare »

Thanks for all the helpful tips. They seems to coming a long nicely, now. The sunburn has just bleached the poor things, but no further degradation.
I will be looking into that fertilizer to seem if I can help them move on from their traumatic replanting.