Yet another spider mite topic!

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
RichR

Yet another spider mite topic!

Post by RichR »

I have established that I have spider mites in my greenhouse. I plan on using Tetrasan as an ovicide. I'm wondering if I also need to use something else to immediately kill the current population of mites (adulticide) since it is my understanding that an ovicide like Tetrasan will not do so.

I realize that Tetrasan works systemically, and in order for it to be effective the plants need to be in an actively growing stage or they won't deliver the Tetrasan through the roots to the stems. It seems late in the year to be doing this but I am feeling a little desperate to control these things before they get out of control. We have had a very mild autumn so far and my greenhouse will easily get up into the 80s if I keep it closed during the day.

My question is, Should I proceed with applying the Tetrasan and try to eliminate these things before spring arrives, or should I wait until the cacti are in a more active growing mode?
Steve Johnson

Re: Yet another spider mite topic!

Post by Steve Johnson »

RichR wrote:I have established that I have spider mites in my greenhouse. I plan on using Tetrasan as an ovicide. I'm wondering if I also need to use something else to immediately kill the current population of mites (adulticide) since it is my understanding that an ovicide like Tetrasan will not do so.

I realize that Tetrasan works systemically, and in order for it to be effective the plants need to be in an actively growing stage or they won't deliver the Tetrasan through the roots to the stems. It seems late in the year to be doing this but I am feeling a little desperate to control these things before they get out of control. We have had a very mild autumn so far and my greenhouse will easily get up into the 80s if I keep it closed during the day.

My question is, Should I proceed with applying the Tetrasan and try to eliminate these things before spring arrives, or should I wait until the cacti are in a more active growing mode?
TetraSan works as a translaminar, not a systemic -- good news for you because spraying with TetraSan can be done anytime during the year. However, you're correct about the fact that it's an ovicide, so it won't do anything on adult mites. I believe the Tau-fluvalinate in Bayer 3-in-1 spray should be an effective adulticide, although since it also contains Imidacloprid, I'm not sure if you'll want to use it. Hopefully other members will weigh in with different options for you.

By the way, are you dealing with red spider mites or flat mites? The former is easily detected by the naked eye, while the latter needs a magnifier (I use a 10x loupe) to catch them in the act.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
RichR

Post by RichR »

Steve, thanks for your reply. There are webs on the cacti. I was under the impression that only spider mites made webs. However I do need a loupe to see them. I can't see any with the naked eye.
RichR

Post by RichR »

Another question, do you apply Tetrasan as a spray or do you need to wet the entire root ball?
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

RichR wrote:Steve, thanks for your reply. There are webs on the cacti. I was under the impression that only spider mites made webs. However I do need a loupe to see them. I can't see any with the naked eye.
Flat mites don't spin webs, so I think you have red spider mites.
RichR wrote:Another question, do you apply Tetrasan as a spray or do you need to wet the entire root ball?
I spray my plants thoroughly, but that's all we need to do -- trickle-down around any parts of the base exposed to air will do the job. As far as I know, pest mites won't venture into the root ball.

Those nasties are a real pain in the backside, aren't they? Such being the case, I hope this helps! :)
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
Pushrestart

Post by Pushrestart »

Rich sorry to hear about the mites :/ they always manage to find a way in and cause trouble.
I've heard good thinks about Azamax and Avid, both are used often with orchids and they have fairly sensitive leaves, check out the reviews online. It might take a few rounds spraying every week-10 days with a rotating products to wipe them out completely.
With plants that arent dormant and can tolerate a light misting, it will help slow the mites down too.