Is it normal for fairy castle cacti to have yellowish roots?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
cosmoselephants

Is it normal for fairy castle cacti to have yellowish roots?

Post by cosmoselephants »

Hello!

I'm super new to cacti as a whole--I only started my collection in April.

I was doing a root check on everyone before the really cold weather hits, and I noticed that my one fairy castle Pickles has yellow roots. I can't remember if they used to be purely white or not and googling didn't bring up anything useful for comparison. The other one (Pickles Jr. ... honestly, I'm ridiculous) has yellowish roots too but it's far younger and half the size.

Pickles has been here for about 8 months and it grew an inch in the span of a month from September to mid-October without fertilizer alone, and it's currently about 10 inches tall. Its base is brownish just from the dirt, but otherwise the whole plant is green and firm. The roots aren't breaking off, smelly, brown, mushy, or anything of the sort. They're all just yellow.

I had a bit of an issue with over-watering before, so now I just want to be absolutely sure it's not root rot starting up. I washed off its roots with water, dried them, and then repotted it in sterile/airy dirt in a smaller pot a few hours ago.

I'd take photos but my camera can't be used right now.

Thanks so much! Sorry if this is totally silly too!
hegar

Re: Is it normal for fairy castle cacti to have yellowish ro

Post by hegar »

The root color of plants can vary quite a bit. A yellow color is not a sign of disease and may be totally normal for your kind of cactus.

Harald
cosmoselephants

Re: Is it normal for fairy castle cacti to have yellowish ro

Post by cosmoselephants »

Great, thank you!