Do you think that there is enough left of my T. Valdezianus

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
george76904

Do you think that there is enough left of my T. Valdezianus

Post by george76904 »

While doing my fairly routine check on the dormant cactus today I knoticed a slightly sunken spot on my beloved t. Valdezianus. I immediately brought it inside and got out the knife because I could see the rot already. I am not sure what it is that makes the fungal rust so prevalent here but it seems to affect grafted plants in particular. The T. Valdezianus was fine on Thursday morning, but we have had a cold spell and I was not home to double check on them. This morning I discovered that my heater was not actually coming on even though the thermostat was cool enough to, however I solved that problem pretty fast and all of the other plants save 1 small adenium and the T. Valdezianus made it out ok. Anyway I cut away until the flesh was the right color but unfortunately this took nearly half the plant and the growth point on about 85% of the plant. Do you guys think it will recover? If so do you think it will make more heads or just continue to grow from the small portion of the growth point that is left?
Thanks,
Will
https://www.flickr.com/photos/137095527 ... res/h3J03D
iann

Re: Do you think that there is enough left of my T. Valdezia

Post by iann »

Is it completely clean? I don't like the look of the lower right at the graft junction.

Anyway, there is no fundamental reason why a plant cut in half can't survive, but practically it faces a lot of risks. This isn't a species that pups readily, and even if it did they might not be crested.
--ian
george76904

Re: Do you think that there is enough left of my T. Valdezia

Post by george76904 »

I don't care if it is created or not I just like the plant. I agreed with you about the lower right and right after I took pictures I took a few more cuts there to be safe. I guess time will tell...