Pygmaeocereus Akersii spots on areoles

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
MadridPeter

Pygmaeocereus Akersii spots on areoles

Post by MadridPeter »

Hi folks! I recently noticed my pygmaeocereus has developed what most probably is corking at its base but also brown points on some areoles..now I have unpotted it and could see no sign of rot despite fully cleaning the roots ..I know for example if you over water huascha or e. Grandiflora it develops brown points on areoles..can someone help? Not sure of plants age but I think it is was pretty mature when I first got it...I also poked one areole with a nail file and there was what seemed normal stem matter I.e not brown mush..I am at a loss due to a lack of experience..any insights welcome!!
Attachments
image.jpeg (71.22 KiB) Viewed 749 times
image.jpeg (78.12 KiB) Viewed 749 times
MadridPeter

Re: Pygmaeocereus Akersii spots on areoles

Post by MadridPeter »

Nobody wants to comment? I am giving thought to throwing this plant out as if it is mites I don't want the threat to my other cacti ..I read pest section and it mentioned webbing which I see none of on my plant..I have looked again and again and see no red little critters and I am keeping an eye on the other cacti that seem totally unaffected up to now..any suggestions welcome
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

If you want to throw away a plant just because of some bugs, you might as well throw out all plants. Most of them will at some point get infection by one thing or the other. Most species will however outgrow any damage (if any).

Corking at the base is usually a sign of old age with many cacti. Corking on other places is less normal. I would just spray the plant with a mixture of 1/2 water, 1/2 spiritus (pure alcohol) and a bit of soap. Works for most bugs if repeated a few times. There are probably better products out there, but this is an easy and relatively safe home made mixture to help you out. Ideal for mealy bugs, I guess it might also work with mites.
MadridPeter

Post by MadridPeter »

Ok I just sprayed with water/alcohol solution ..I think the creatures have come and gone but sprayed anyway..funny thing is that the cactus had always been kept very close to all my other cacti and no other cactus seems to be affected at all..I think the source of the problem was a close orchid which belongs to my wife and I have noticed small snails and webbing on its moss & wood soil..I asked her to move it to another place