Cacti weak and falling over

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
RoscoeLim

Cacti weak and falling over

Post by RoscoeLim »

Hello folks, this is my first time on the cactus forum.

Recently, my grandma bought me a cactus of which I'm not sure what species it is (help here please). It was potted in the same pot as this golden barrel cacti (the only photo I have focuses on the golden barrel which has since died of overwatering and root rot). After removing the dead one, I left the small cacti alone in the pot (did not have time to repot it and I was worried that the rot might have spread to it).
Original healthy cactus on right
Original healthy cactus on right
12607363_953416958072350_1226638251_n.jpg (40.38 KiB) Viewed 5507 times
Now, weak and falling over
Now, weak and falling over
12648136_953417064739006_752573593_n.jpg (38.99 KiB) Viewed 5507 times
4 weeks later, I returned home (my mom watered the cactus every 10 days in my absence). The cacti had apparently became rather thin and floppy and has fallen over. Upon investigation and repotting, it did not appear to have acquired root rot and appears to be otherwise alive. I have since supported it with a chopstick and floral wire. Is this due to insufficient sunlight (it grew under an old acquarium light under my grandma's care) causing this issue or are there other underlying problems?

The new pot also has drainage at the bottom by the way. If the issue is due to too little light, is there a way to rectify it? The current window spot I have allocated it is the brightest in my house. Due to my housing conditions, I do not have an outdoor area where I can expose it to the sunlight the whole day or provide it with any brighter natural light. I am also worried about the cost, maintaince and looks of artificial lighting and am not sure if I should install such lights for a single cactus plant.

I am hoping this cactus problem can be solved as soon as possible and I would like to thank anyone who helps in advance! Thank you!
RoscoeLim

Re: Cacti weak and falling over

Post by RoscoeLim »

If any additional images of the cactus are required to see the extent of the problem, I am more than happy to provide them!
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

The basic problem is too little light.
This may be made worse by it being too warm, and being watered, so it is trying to grow.

This cactus (Echinopsis chamaecereus) is happiest with a cold winter rest (minimum temperatures only a few degrees above freezing) if kept completley dry. In these conditions, it will be dormant and not try to grow.
If kept warmer (minimums of say 10-15 deg C, and warmer during the day), it will want to grow. If it's not kept somewhere fairly sunny, the growth will be thin and weak as you see.

If you keep it as close to the glass as possible, it will get quite a bit more light than it does even just a short distance from the window. It will also probably be cooler, which will reduce its desire to grow.

Depending upon where you live, and the direction youw window faces, if you are currently in a northern hemisphere winter, it may get a lot more light in the summer and may grow normally.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

RoscoeLim wrote:The cacti had apparently became rather thin and floppy and has fallen over.
Warmth usually makes a succulent to grow. But if you cannot provide sufficient light for it to grow well, it will become thin. It is called etiolation. Keep it dry for the winter. It can easily survive many months without water at all. Keep it cool, but frost free. Start watering in spring, and put it in a area as bright as possible. But don't water 'every N days'. Water only when the pot it is standing is has dried out. So watch the plant, not the calender when it comes to watering. Unless the calender says it is time for a winter dormancy starting September or October, when you should stop at all again.

Depending on the weather where you are, you might put your cactus out in the garden in the best sunny position you can find. If you do this - at least in my moderate climate - from late April until early September, and just let rain pour on it, it should probably be fine and grow well. But it depends on your local weather, of which I have no idea how that is where you are.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

It's highly recommended that forum members include basic location and climate info in their profiles. Then whenever they ask for advice, respondents are more likely to produce useful answers. See the following screenshots:

Here's my profile as an example:

If you live in the US, you can reference the USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map for your profile:

http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
7george

Post by 7george »

One more thing, RoscoeLim: Don't try to make this cactus to grow strait up, its mature stems are rather crawling, clambering or hanging down. Just bring it to the window and water only when it receives several hours of direct sunlight. Looking at the shadows this might be an east facing side, not too bad.
That pot is big, it will hold moisture for at least 2 weeks if not too hot.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
RoscoeLim

Post by RoscoeLim »

Hello! Thank you all for the prompt reply and help!

I'm from Singapore, tropical climate and located near the equator.
-Temperature is around 30 degrees Celsius (86 Fahrenheit)
-Humidity is around 75% usually

The window is shaped like an L, with the joint of the L facing the east and the 2 faces of the window facing north and south respectively. I have since placed my cactus as far to the joint of the L as possible and am no longer supporting it with the chopstick to allow it to grow normally and laterally (was not aware that this species grew this way, thanks guys).
This view is facing the east
This view is facing the east
12665664_953851351362244_1625904760_n.jpg (31.89 KiB) Viewed 5458 times
I don't have an outdoor garden and so cant expose it to full sunlight and rain.

Also, another question. Being in Singapore, we experience the same climate (summer-ish) the whole year round. Does the winter dormancy period still apply to me or do I water it all year round? I shall stop watering it in the meanwhile I guess or at least reduce watering (that window area can get quite warm at times)

Once again thank you for all the help and I look forward to the helpful replies! =D>

(ill go update my profile for the location, thanks)
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

I expect it will be happier in the corner between the two windows where it will get quite a lot of light.
I think this plant needs a cold winter rest to flower, so flowers may be very difficult to get in your climate.
In Singapore it may well grow all year round, perhaps it's not worth trying to give it a rest season?
If you are lucky, someone with experience of growing cacti very close to the equator may post here and offer advice abased on their personal knowledge.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
RoscoeLim

Post by RoscoeLim »

Hello, thanks for all the help!

Quick update, one week later, the cactus has been doing much better. The stems have appeared to have thickened a bit and has grown significantly in length without excessive thinning. I plan to use slow release fertiliser after its condition has stabilised.
12660378_956628674417845_426686095_n.jpg
12660378_956628674417845_426686095_n.jpg (70.68 KiB) Viewed 5410 times
Thank you all once again, was kinda worried about it before your help!