Help with possible scale attack/identification

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
blueant

Help with possible scale attack/identification

Post by blueant »

First of all I would like to say thank you to this forum for being such a wealth of information. I have been looking through pretty much every page for topics about how to grow cacti and it has been a great help. I've previously grown carnivorous plants and this is quite a change!

However, I was hoping for some specific help with my new cactus. I'm in the early, over protective phase right now but I suspect that it has some kind of scale infection that should be visible below.
Cant change the angle on this... (also have since removed that slow release fertiliser)
Cant change the angle on this... (also have since removed that slow release fertiliser)
DSC_0004.JPG (45.38 KiB) Viewed 984 times
Wow, upside down now. Corking at the base I am ok with
Wow, upside down now. Corking at the base I am ok with
DSC_0011.JPG (49.71 KiB) Viewed 984 times
The positioning and slow spread of the brown speckles/spots concerns me and the scarring just seems odd, though a more experienced eye might be able to tell if it is only physical damage.

If it is scale what is a good procedure for this? If I can get a Provado spray could it also be applied to the roots via watering?

Thank you very much for any help (or reassurance).
iann

Re: Help with possible scale attack/identification

Post by iann »

I'm not convinced that is scale. Scale insects are relatively symmetrical and be removed with a thumbnail. Scarring of the cactus skin may be even or irregular and cannot easily be scraped off.

If it does turn out to be scale then you can apply Provado to the roots. Drench the pot at the same concentration as the spray, or follow the label with a product designed as a root drench. You might want to remove any scale you can see first, no point leaving it there for weeks while the Provado gets to work.
--ian
blueant

Post by blueant »

Thank you for your advice! Sounds alot more like scarring then. Of course, I have already impatiently applied Provado :roll: I'm hoping it can't make the situation any worse.

I will leave it alone to settle in and see if the scarring stops spreading.

Cheers
HP22B

Post by HP22B »

This seems common to see on T. bridgesii f. monstrose around here. Perhaps it is more prone to physical damage and scarring without a protective barrier of spines.
blueant

Post by blueant »

Ah, I see. Thank you. It's good to know it is not something more sinister.