Cactus losing green color

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
keithp2012

Cactus losing green color

Post by keithp2012 »

I received a mostly yellow cactus in the mail with hints of green all over, it's variegated and growing on its own roots. Past two weeks I repotted it, gave a tiny bit of water, and it's on my warm windowsill with all my other cacti. Body and roots look great. However, I've noticed all traces of green are gone and it's become a golden yellow color! I don't know how old why this is happening I cannot figure it out! Also I'm puzzled how it's grown on its own roots without being grated, it was grown from seed on its own roots so Mabye yellow can live without being grafted?
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (43.42 KiB) Viewed 3802 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (45.99 KiB) Viewed 3802 times
Aiko

Re: Cactus losing green color

Post by Aiko »

Are the two pictures of the same day? On the second picture, this plant looks like a goner.

I would not call this one variegated based on the first photo. I see mostly yellow, and some green on top. Looks (to me at least) like a previous green plant that could be dying. But hard to say based on these two pictures.
keithp2012

Post by keithp2012 »

Aiko wrote:Are the two pictures of the same day? On the second picture, this plant looks like a goner.

I would not call this one variegated based on the first photo. I see mostly yellow, and some green on top. Looks (to me at least) like a previous green plant that could be dying. But hard to say based on these two pictures.
Same plant, 3 weeks apart. Plant has gotten fatter since watering and there is no rot. I wouldn't say it's dying as there are no ill signs, just a color change. More light seems to lessen the green color and enhance the yellow. Still, I never heard a plant gain chylorophyll in less sun!
majcka

Post by majcka »

Take it out iof the soil and see if thre is any roots left....seems to me it has no roots.
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

keithp2012

Post by keithp2012 »

majcka wrote:Take it out iof the soil and see if thre is any roots left....seems to me it has no roots.
Yes it has plenty of fat healthy roots, I just looked.
majcka

Post by majcka »

keithp2012 wrote:
majcka wrote:Take it out iof the soil and see if thre is any roots left....seems to me it has no roots.
Yes it has plenty of fat healthy roots, I just looked.
If that is the case...I'm out of ideas. :?
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

jmoney

Post by jmoney »

Lighting?
Budding cactus enthusiast

Twitter: jmoneypn
Instagram: jmoneypn
K.W.

Post by K.W. »

Good evening,

I think it might be lack of iron. Then the chlorophyll decreases.

Best wishes

K.W.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
keithp2012

Post by keithp2012 »

The cactus started getting brown spots near the base, so I took it out. The tiny watering I did stayed in the pot for over 4 days, im wondering if the roots are dead and causing overwatering or too much sun and the cactus is dehydrated if the roots are dead? The calloused area indented area under the cactus is hard and was there since purchase. I again dumped out all old soil and put in fresh, dry soil so now the cactus is fully dry again.
Attachments
DSC08750.JPG
DSC08750.JPG (68.93 KiB) Viewed 3695 times
jmoney

Post by jmoney »

Roots look fine to me!
Budding cactus enthusiast

Twitter: jmoneypn
Instagram: jmoneypn
keithp2012

Post by keithp2012 »

The brown must be start of rot, combined with stress from too much light. :(
keithp2012

Post by keithp2012 »

I got another of this color, kept it dry, slowly introduced it to indoor, indirect light (not outside). The cactus remained dry but still turned brown and it has to be continuous extreme sunburn, only possible cause of death. I don't know how this person had it alive and well, this is the only cactus I ever had die! Coming from Italy to the US plus it's color must of made it too sensitive.