crassula buddha's temple help

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
richs2k6

crassula buddha's temple help

Post by richs2k6 »

I was trimming the dead leaves at the bottom of this plant when I realized it was kind of mushy and black and after fussing with it, it became loose from the roots. I figured it was rotting so I severed it and took some leaves off, leaving about a quarter inch of the stem. I laid it on top of dry soil for a week or so hoping it would heal and then I could get it to root again but the stem is turning black and drying up. Is this normal? The black started extending towards the leaves so I pulled a few more off. Should I leave it alone or should I take some more leaves off and cut it again? The pic shows both sides of the bottom.
PhotoGrid_1459215268693.jpg
PhotoGrid_1459215268693.jpg (62.94 KiB) Viewed 2072 times
george76904

Re: crassula buddha's temple help

Post by george76904 »

I would say that you need to cut the stem back until there is nothing but green showing. If you let it be, it could overcome the rot and live... Or it could succumb to the rot. Either way is a gamble but your best bet it to cut the stem back give it some time to callous over and re root it.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Yes, cut it back to healthy tissue with no discoloration. Let it air-dry and heal before you put it in contact with soil.
Spence :mrgreen:
richs2k6

Post by richs2k6 »

Thanks for the help, looks like it healed a lot better this time. I put it back in the soil. When do I water it again? I'm afraid to rot it again so I'm being extra careful. When I water it should I just water a few centimeters around it so that it just pulls moisture from the soil or just water it regular allowing the root, or nub at this point, to get wet?
richs2k6

Post by richs2k6 »

Anyone?
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I would just mist it lightly until you start to get some root growth, then gradually increase the amount of water you apply.
Spence :mrgreen: