Any advice on these?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
mickey48

Any advice on these?

Post by mickey48 »

I'm quite a newbie with cacti and succulents and I'm hoping to find any advice on some matters. A handful of cacti and succulents died on me and I became paranoid of having more. Here are a few problems I've encountered recently:

First is this Haworthia Reinwardtii.
In the blue circle, it's soft. Is this start of rot? Beside it, is this a pup?

Second, this cactus that I'm not sure of as to what it's called.
You could see that there are less than a handful of roots. Can this plant still survive?

Lastly, my set of Burro's tail.
I'm drying the roots up so I could re-pot them. The leaves are shriveling, would they be okay even after I re-pot them?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!
greenknight

Re: Any advice on these?

Post by greenknight »

In the first picture - is it mushy of just spongy? Yes, that is a pup on the other side.

#2 - The can recover from losing all their roots, as long as there's no rot it should be fine. You should always put them in a pot that's only a little bigger than the root ball - in a case like this you could fill up the extra space in the pot with rocks. Good-size rocks, not a layer of gravel, you want the potting mix to work its way down between the rocks to make drainage channels to the bottom.

#3 - The shriveled leaves may be lost, but no worries. Burro's Tail leaves detach easily, it's one way the plant spreads - each leaf can grow into a new plant. If they're too shriveled they may not grow, but it won't hurt to try, you just leave them laying on the soil surface.
Spence :mrgreen:
mickey48

Post by mickey48 »

greenknight wrote:In the first picture - is it mushy of just spongy? Yes, that is a pup on the other side.

#2 - The can recover from losing all their roots, as long as there's no rot it should be fine. You should always put them in a pot that's only a little bigger than the root ball - in a case like this you could fill up the extra space in the pot with rocks. Good-size rocks, not a layer of gravel, you want the potting mix to work its way down between the rocks to make drainage channels to the bottom.

#3 - The shriveled leaves may be lost, but no worries. Burro's Tail leaves detach easily, it's one way the plant spreads - each leaf can grow into a new plant. If they're too shriveled they may not grow, but it won't hurt to try, you just leave them laying on the soil surface.

Thanks greenknight!

It's quite spongy. I see! Do I still re-pot it where the pup is under the soil, or over?

Good to know! I'll do as what you advised!

Noted! =D> :D

Thanks again!
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

You should pot it at the same depth it was previously.

I think the softness is just a leaf that's beginning to shrivel up. Not unusual for a bottom leaf to do that, especially when the plant isn't getting water - it will sacrifice the bottom leaves to keep the top alive.
Spence :mrgreen: