Shrunken Mammillaria

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
absolute0

Shrunken Mammillaria

Post by absolute0 »

I've had thia Mammillaria for around three months now and it seemed happy but when I checked on it yesterday, it had shrunk to the point that it was barely recognizable. It was fine when I watered it a week ago.

Is it underwatered? I placed it near a glass window facing west and it receives sunlight late in the afternoons. I live in the Philippines and summer has been extremely hot due to the El Niño phenomenon.

I tried to touch the lower portions to check if it feels mushy. It didn't. It didn't feel brittle either but it kinda fractured.

Is there still hope for this guy?
image.jpg
image.jpg (60.29 KiB) Viewed 748 times
greenknight

Re: Shrunken Mammillaria

Post by greenknight »

If it's not mushy there might be a chance, but it doesn't look good. Normally, I'd say check the roots but there's no point in this case - not enough moisture left in that to grow new roots. Give it a good watering and set it in a cooler spot - if it takes up water, great, if not, it's dead.
Spence :mrgreen:
absolute0

Post by absolute0 »

Thanks. Normally for dehydrated cacti, how long does it take for them to bounce back? I watered it yesterday but do I wait till the soil feels dry before I water it again?
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

If they take up water, they should be turgid in just a few days at most.

Yes, always wait for the soil to be dry before you water again. If there are not roots, the plant will not be able to pick up the water. It needs moisture from the body to grow roots. If the plant is dehydrated, and it has no roots, it is or will be dead.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Yep, you'll know before long if it will live or not.
Spence :mrgreen: