Again with the mealybugs

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
mudslide

Again with the mealybugs

Post by mudslide »

I have a collection of two dozen succulents, mostly small ones, the majority of which now are infested with mealybugs. I hadn't realized the bugs could travel from one plant to another; now that I've done some reading, I realize that the young 'uns are fairly mobile. I want to move the few remaining plants that don't seem to be infested a safe distance away from the buggy ones. (Not many options for putting them in a different room.) Can anyone specify a distance beyond which the bugs would be unlikely to travel?
iann

Re: Again with the mealybugs

Post by iann »

Anywhere on a different shelf or table should be safe. They don't fly, so if they can't walk they aren't going to get there. Walking down a table leg and finding their way to another table is pretty unlikely. Just maybe they might hitch a lift on you and get transferred but mostly they don't crawl more than a few feet. If you only have two dozen, you should probably treat the whole lot with a systemic insecticide, then the mealies have nowhere to live for the rest of the summer.
--ian