Flowers not opening on my Chamaelobivia 'Rose Quartz'

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
graffiti

Flowers not opening on my Chamaelobivia 'Rose Quartz'

Post by graffiti »

Good morning all. Thanks to my reading here, I've learned that the reason my cacti never flower was because I wasn't keeping them dry or cool enough during the winter. Problem solved. My Notocactus turecekianus went from not blooming last couple years to having 20+ buds this year. Same with my Rebutia muscula.

My Chamaelobivia 'Rose Quartz' is in a similar situation, but the buds are only opening half way. Like half the flower will open, the rest will not. It's like part of the end of the flower isn't breaking open or something. I've been trying to get a good photo, but it's difficult to get a camera lens down in there and get the right angle.

The plant isn't super healthy, as you can see by the colors. The main stem is pretty yellow toward the end, but the base and the rest of the branches are healthy looking. I just bare rooted and repotted it a month ago. Soil is 3 parts 8822, 1 part Lambert LM3 pro mix. Roots looked healthy and as robust as one would expect after a winter drought and being in the wrong soil for a couple years. It got watered about a week and a half ago.

Anyhow, here's the best photo I could come up with. Tomorrow will be warmer and sunnier and I'm hoping that will get the newer ones to pop better. Here's a link to the photo that will show full size.

adetheproducer

Re: Flowers not opening on my Chamaelobivia 'Rose Quartz'

Post by adetheproducer »

How much direct light is it getting, it might need more light to get the flowers open.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
graffiti

Post by graffiti »

It was getting about 5-6 hours southern exposure through a untreated glass (like 100 year old) window. It's now getting probably about 10ish hours, although it's currently got some shade cloth over it to prevent burning.
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

Gradually reduce the shade and give it a little more light. You are about the same latitude as us in the UK and the vast majority of my plants do fine with no shade under glass but obviously be careful on the hottest days,I think more light should sort them out.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
bpunch

Post by bpunch »

Giving it ample sunlight will help to get blossom soon. Further, take care of the watering in intense weather.