Crispy dry edges on Rik Rak Cactus (Epiphyllum)

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
jml95

Crispy dry edges on Rik Rak Cactus (Epiphyllum)

Post by jml95 »

Rik Rak Cactus.JPG
Rik Rak Cactus.JPG (53.78 KiB) Viewed 728 times
Hi Everyone!

I recently purchased a Rik Rak cactus. I'm not sure if I noticed this when I purchased it but on a leave or two there are a few dry, crispy edges that eventually crumble off. I read that they like to stay moist but not wet so I wasn't watering it too much. Am I underwatering? I am very new to growing Epiphyllums so any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!
esp_imaging

Re: Crispy dry edges on Rik Rak Cactus (Epiphyllum)

Post by esp_imaging »

It may be a result of physical damage if part of the plant got bented / pinched / bashed etc before you bought it or when moving it. It could take several days for the affected part to die and dry up. So it's probably nothing to worry about.
If it's warm where you are, this plant should be able to stay more -or -less damp (but definitely not ever waterlogged) throughout the summer. For example, it should be fine outside in the UK over the summer without rain protection, and may need watering during our "long" (i.e. several days) dry spells.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
jml95

Re: Crispy dry edges on Rik Rak Cactus (Epiphyllum)

Post by jml95 »

esp_imaging wrote:It may be a result of physical damage if part of the plant got bented / pinched / bashed etc before you bought it or when moving it. It could take several days for the affected part to die and dry up. So it's probably nothing to worry about.
If it's warm where you are, this plant should be able to stay more -or -less damp (but definitely not ever waterlogged) throughout the summer. For example, it should be fine outside in the UK over the summer without rain protection, and may need watering during our "long" (i.e. several days) dry spells.
Thanks so much esp_imaging! The plant was shipped to me and now that you mention it, if I remember correctly it was bent into the shipping box. I'm very glad to hear the plant's "ailment" is really not an "ailment" at all!

I originally had the Rik Rak in premixed cacti/succulent soil but recently replanted with about 20% premixed cacti soil (label says: peat and sand), 20% premixed orchid soil (label says: bark and forest compost) and the final 60% perlite. I would have thought the medium would surely dry out but it seems very moist 4-5 days after watering. I don't have much air circulation naturally in the house but I often put on the ceiling fan to provide some. I don't know if that is a silly idea but until I get my conservatory with tons of windows and a fan that is the best I can do! :D

I am on the East Coast in the USA (NJ) and we have a pretty hot and humid summer. Taking your example into consideration, I am thinking of putting this Rik Rak, another epiphyllum and some of my Adeniums on the deck to enjoy the sunshine and ocean breeze. Can this endure direct sun? Do you think salty air would affect it?

Thanks again!!!