Cactus shrivelled and soft

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
mjaurelio

Cactus shrivelled and soft

Post by mjaurelio »

I have this eriosyce crispa cactus, I moved it this morning into a location that gets about 12 hours of full direct sunlight. But when I checked up on it a couple of hours later it was shrivelling and it was soft to the touch. It's also in flower so I don't know if the full sun put too much stress on it? I just watered it because it was completely dry( even though I watered it 2 days ago) it's 30 degrees centigrade today in Toronto. I also moved it inside for now to cool it off. I don't know what to do :(
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (62.97 KiB) Viewed 678 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (56.24 KiB) Viewed 678 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (64.11 KiB) Viewed 678 times
iann

Re: Cactus shrivelled and soft

Post by iann »

Sounds like it overheated. Looks OK for now, but see how it is tomorrow. It will soon be apparent if there is any permanent surface scorching or deeper overheating which might kill it.
--ian
Aiko

Re: Cactus shrivelled and soft

Post by Aiko »

Some plants are soft to the touch if they are quite dehydrated. But I only know the spongy feeling of this from Larryleachia and Pseudolithos. They can plump up real faster after watering. But plants of the size in your picture usually do not dehydrate in just a few days (not in my climate anyway).

It is never a good sign if a plant chances appearance in a day, or a few days. I can't judge how much visually change there really was. Do you have a before picture, by any chance?

If the flower development continues, and you really can spot a difference the next day, your plant is probably fine.