Mild Wrinkling On Miniature Cholla

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
StarDragon

Mild Wrinkling On Miniature Cholla

Post by StarDragon »

I couldn't find the Latin name for this species, but I know its a cylindropuntia. I could not get the photo to upload despite trying to resize it.

There is light wrinkling in the midsection of my miniature cholla & on some of the branches. The wrinkling is situated either radiating out from the areoles, or between the bumps the areoles are in the center of, the ones that give chollas that chain link appearance. They are not on any of the new growth & the wrinkling improved after watering, but some is still there. There is no other evidence of disease or significant decline in health, although the bumps are softer. I suspect this may be the same problem as the other recent thread regarding someone's cactus wrinkling & softening, but the plant otherwise appears to be healthy. One suggestion was that it was overheated. Over here in my area of west Texas, have had significant weather advisories regarding the heat within the past few days, roughly when the wrinkling was there. The only reason I'm continuing to inquire about this, is because none of my other cactus & succulent plants are displaying any symptoms of overheating. I would just rather be safe than sorry.
StarDragon

Re: Mild Wrinkling On Miniature Cholla

Post by StarDragon »

I have found that the mild wrinkling persisting despite consistent watering, is due to heat stress, as it corrects itself completely if its removed from the currently more intense heat for three or four days.