Is this sunburn or corking?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
reyglez1991

Is this sunburn or corking?

Post by reyglez1991 »

Hi, a couple weeks ago I noticed this weird spots and I don't know what they are. I read that corking starts from the bottom and it couldn't possibly be sunburn because this is an indoor cactus and wasn't even that close to the windows. Please help me identify this problem and fix it if possible. Thanks
Attachments
IMG_0786.JPG
IMG_0786.JPG (69.35 KiB) Viewed 741 times
IMG_0784.JPG
IMG_0784.JPG (92.41 KiB) Viewed 741 times
iann

Re: Is this sunburn or corking?

Post by iann »

Is it new damage? It isn't usually called corking when the scarring is halfway up the plant. Doesn't look like classic sunburn, but certainly something has damaged it. Needs more light, btw.
--ian
hegar

Re: Is this sunburn or corking?

Post by hegar »

These splotches are most likely, as iann said, the result of an injury. Some of the lesions seem to have holes in them (stab wounds). I would just keep a good eye on the plant. If the discolored areas either grow larger or the tissue around them changes color and becomes soft, then I would start worrying. Otherwise, it is just a cosmetic problem.
Iann is also right with his observation, that your plant should receive a little more light. The stem is lighter green and thinner at the apex (new growth). This is known as etiolation and you do not want this malformation to occur on your cactus plants.

Harald