Discolored Cylindropuntia Spinosior (I think) at Base

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Spike_Bartley

Discolored Cylindropuntia Spinosior (I think) at Base

Post by Spike_Bartley »

Hi All,

This is my first post on CactiGuide and was hoping to get some input on what seems to be a growing discoloration at the base of one of my Cacti. I believe this is a Cylindropuntia Spinosior (Cane Cholla), but am not 100% sure. The discoloration is mostly yellow, but seems to be a bit black and flakey in some spots.

I bought the cactus with this discoloration, but thought it was just that the soil level was too low. The issues seems to have crept up above the soil line again. Does anyone know what this is?

Thanks so much in advance!
Attachments
IMG_2041 copy.jpg
IMG_2041 copy.jpg (62.75 KiB) Viewed 578 times
hegar

Re: Discolored Cylindropuntia Spinosior (I think) at Base

Post by hegar »

Opuntia and Cylindropuntia members are usually pretty tough cacti. There could be two reasons, perhaps more, why your plant is taking on a different color near the soil line. One of them would of course be the physiologically normal corking of the older tissue.
Another one could be a rot - most of the time of bacterial nature - that is creeping up from the roots. Then the infected stem would change color to a grey-green and the turgor pressure of the stem would weaken. The plant would most likely fall over after a while, because the tissue becomes weakend and soft. If you do have a root rot, then you can still save the plant. Just go ahead, and with a sterile knife make a cut above the infected part of the stem. When you first see stem tissue that is not discolored, disinfect the cutting tool and make another cut about one half to one inch above the last cut. Then place the plant on its side in a dry, shady location for a week or two to let the cut heal and callus over. After that you can plant the cactus into clean, well draining, low organic matter growing medium.
I hope, that your cactus is just experiencing the beginning of corking and no treatment is necessary.

Harald