Opuntia not looking great

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
BlackDesert21

Opuntia not looking great

Post by BlackDesert21 »

I have two types of Opuntia that I got as cuttings last year. These pads have always looked a bit weathered but since an explosion of growth this year the mother pads have begun to dry/shrivel. These live in a hot climate during the summer and are watered weekly though not very much. Are they not being watered enough? Is age a factor?

cactushobbyman

Re: Opuntia not looking great

Post by cactushobbyman »

First I would take them out of the pot and separate them. Next I would look at the rooted part. Looks like rot. Next I would cut out all the bad looking parts, cut back to the green part, and let them dry for a week or so. If any has form roots, keep the roots but still cut out the bad and let dry. The repot with better soil. There are many post on this site for proper soil. After cuttings have dried, repot in good soil, wait a week or so and then water. You may need to water only once every 10 days or so until mid October and then start watering again in spring. Opuntias should root with little trouble. :D
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

You said they " are watered weekly though not very much". That's a mistake, you need to water thoroughly when you water, until some comes out the drain holes. Let the soil dry between waterings, don't water on a schedule. When in doubt, don't water.
Spence :mrgreen:
hegar

Post by hegar »

I agree with the advice given by the other respondents. Your plant looks over watered. Also, the growing medium is probably too rich in organic matter and does retain moisture too long. This will cause the base of the plant to rot.
Fortunately, prickly pears are quick growers and each pad higher up the plant should root readily.
Try to plant your cactus in a mineral growing medium. I found, that coarse sand and small gravel out of the local arroyos works quite well. It allows for unhindered root growth and because it drains rapidly, there is only a minimal chance for a root rot to occur.

Harald
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

If you're watering just a little, the top layer could be too wet and the bottom of the pot totally dried out. Soil containing a lot of peat, as that appears to be, resists taking up water if it's really dried out.You can get to a point where there's a pocket of dry soil in the bottom of the pot that water will drain past without penetrating. I don't know if that is the case, but it does happen.

Harald is right, you need to get them into a mix with a lot of coarse mineral material in it.
Spence :mrgreen: