Black spots on G. ragonesei

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
absolute0

Black spots on G. ragonesei

Post by absolute0 »

I noticed my Gymnocalycium ragonesei has black spots on one side. I can't quite recall if it already had these spots when a got it a couple of weeks ago. The area with the black spots feel firm to the touch though (not mushy), just like the normal areas. Should I be alarmed? If this is some sickness, anything I can do about it? Thanks!
image.jpg
image.jpg (86.25 KiB) Viewed 924 times
keithp2012

Re: Black spots on G. ragonesei

Post by keithp2012 »

One I had ordered had the same thing, seemed to be where the old pot line was. Could be too much moisture or sunburn spots. My specimen was flatter than yours, after being repotted, plenty of sun water and some fertilizer the cactus is round and plump and the spots greatly decreased.
absolute0

Post by absolute0 »

Thank you @keithp2012!

So I guess these spots aren't fatal. Just watered mine today, gave it time to adjust since I potted it.
iann

Post by iann »

The title had me worried, but those don't look like anything fatal. Just unsightly scarring, perhaps from a pest of a bit of scorching, or maybe you'd just call it corking.
--ian
absolute0

Post by absolute0 »

Thanks @iann!

I just had to make sure these aren't anything fatal. This was one of my expensive cactus purchases and if the spots proved to be fatal, it would be an expensive demise ! Relieved to know it's nothing to worry about
keithp2012

Post by keithp2012 »

I've been getting seeds from mine, they have pretty white flowers.