Sunburn or rot?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
NY-Desert

Sunburn or rot?

Post by NY-Desert »

Hi all,
I am trying to figure out what is going on with my ferocactus. I suspect it might be sunburn caused from Jobe plant food spikes i was using till I read they were not good for small cacti. I did have him out and changed the medium, reduced lighting ect. ect. to no avail. He just seems to always look the same,yet his pup looks great. I did read the article on CactiGuide about sunburn & and the ferocactus's propensity for burning....any thoughts?

PS: I also forgot to mention that the roots looked healthy far as I could tell.

Any input would be most appreciated.
ferocactus
ferocactus
0828161524.jpg (48.21 KiB) Viewed 1135 times
keithp2012

Re: Sunburn or rot?

Post by keithp2012 »

I also live in NY.

I have all my cacti in clay pots with a drainage hole, in miracle gro cactus and citrus soil mixed with extra perlite. I will use a little miracle gro liquid fertilizer for cacti and water well to dilute it, I fertilize once a month except dormant months (November-April). Yes it looks like too much fertilizer. Do you put them outside for sunlight each day in nice weather, it really helps they need full sun. Don't fertilize anymore this year only water, it should recover and green up with more light.
NY-Desert

Post by NY-Desert »

Hi Keith,
Yes, I keep them out all summer and bring them inside in the winter, then allow them to go dormant. I have also been using the miracle grow/perlite and it has been working really well. The plant has been in full sun all summer, but next year I'm going to be moving to a 50% shade cover because I've had burn issues even on non-fertilized plants.

Most commercial growers out west are using like a 60% or 70%+ sun blockers. I've been told that especially smaller cacti are susceptible to burning but my ferocactus seem to be real babies when it comes to direct sun. I was in southern Arizona last year and all the commercial nursery's I visited said even in the east u need shade cloth for healthy plants. I use mostly terra-cotta pots as well, the plants seem to be much healthier than my plastic potted ones.

Funny part is all the Arizona native cacti I brought back are all healthy warriors...lol
I think the plant spikes made him susceptible to burning ( which ferocatus already is ). I had several in each pot till I read it was a no no.
Thanks for your input and check out ( My high tech cacti farm ) under 'growing from seed'..I grow saguaros,barrels,trichs and more. I find this hobby quite addicting...lol
keithp2012

Post by keithp2012 »

I'm glad you know the issue and your cactus should recover just fine. :)
7george

Post by 7george »

NY-Desert wrote:Hi all,
I am trying to figure out what is going on with my ferocactus. ....
0828161524.jpg
I think this is a Melocactus. Luck of centrals and this offset proves it. Many cacti change colour to yellow at strong light conditions and then back to normal again. This is not a sunburn yet.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
NY-Desert

Post by NY-Desert »

Hello 7george,

You may be right, I dunno but I bought it in a group of labled ferocactus. Just forgot to re-label the little fella. That's why I'm fairly certain its a ferocactus.