Astrophytum myriostigma help please.

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
benny989

Astrophytum myriostigma help please.

Post by benny989 »

So my astro bottom rotted off (pot hole was accidentally plugged). Just wondering if too much has been taken off. I've attached some images to show how much I've removed, im also a little concerned about the color of the top, its gone a little brown :/
Attachments
20160930_084441.jpg
20160930_084441.jpg (47.27 KiB) Viewed 1504 times
20160930_084512.jpg
20160930_084512.jpg (39.93 KiB) Viewed 1504 times
esp_imaging

Re: Astrophytum myriostigma help please.

Post by esp_imaging »

It doesn't look good to me.
If it's still healthy, it will survive for months, so you needn't rush to do anything. Leave it for at least a couple of weeks for the cut to heal. By which time, I fear, it may have rotted anyway.
Once the cut is healed over, keep it either just standing up in an empty pot, or perhaps resting on pure dry grit, pumice etc. If and when it feels like it, it will start to throw out roots, and you can water it very slightly.
Gently bottom heat may help, if you live in a cooler climate.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
benny989

Post by benny989 »

So it will throw roots out without being in soil at all, that's great to know. Thanks so much :)
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Yes, they will put out roots without being in soil. The roots will come out of whichever side is down, if it's laying on its side the roots will come out the side of the stem.

I agree the color doesn't look good. It's plenty big enough to be a viable cutting, only time will tell if it's healthy enough.
Spence :mrgreen:
benny989

Post by benny989 »

Great thanks guys! Also have an euphorbia obesa thats been in a pot for about 3 weeks now and still hasnt rooted at all... anything i can do or should i just wait it out? Im in Australia where its spring atm.
CactusMad

Post by CactusMad »

Hi,can you give more details on the Obesa ? Has it got no roots ? What medium is it sat on ? Do you have a pic?

:)
benny989

Post by benny989 »

The euphorbia has no roots at all and is missing a small bit of its tap root. I ordered it online, it came in great condition etc but my daughter was watering it without my knowledge while I had it on the window sill. I realized a little too late that it wasnt doing well and had to cut the rot away. Afterwards I put it in a pot with my usual mix(2 parts cacti potting mix, 1 part sand, 1 part perlite and 1 part mixed scoria and crushed granite). Its been about 3 weeks or so since its repotting and as I said, no roots at all. I can post a pic tomorrow if that helps :)
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

Be patient. Doing nothing is often a good strategy. 3 weeks isn't a long time for (say) a bit of stem to start producing a competely different type of growth.
I've an accidentally detached Mammillaria mazatlanesis offset that finally seems to be throwing out roots after about 12 months; other people will have stories of cuttings that took months rather than days to get going.
An E. obesa stem is very succulent and will survive for quite a while.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
benny989

Post by benny989 »

Great, that's good news. I've got both the euphorbia and astrophytum sitting in some crushed granite atm. So i guess I'll leave them in until they either root or die lol. Thanks everyone