Eve's Needle Crest rotting very quickly- please help!

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
cacnea

Eve's Needle Crest rotting very quickly- please help!

Post by cacnea »

When this cactus (possibly Opuntia subulata cristata) was given to me, it had a lot of light brown spots- which I unfortunately mistook for "corking" and ignored. I just went on vacation over the weekend, and when I returned, the poor cactus had fallen over! The center crest is completely black and wrinkled, and while the largest crest is still mostly green, I'm not sure if it can recover now that it has toppled. The highest portion of the cactus is still mostly healthy, but has small light brown patches near the base.

I have been keeping the cactus in indirect sunlight, with hardly any water, but I have moved it outside for now. Whatever this is, it seems to be spreading very quickly, so I most likely need to act fast if I want to save it. What should I do? Please help if you can!

Image Image Image
adetheproducer

Re: Eve's Needle Crest rotting very quickly- please help!

Post by adetheproducer »

That looks like it's got worse since the ID request. I would recommend surgery. Cut off that nice and green stem and the other green sections let them dry and scab over which takes a week or two the repot in a pure mineral soil mix no actual organic material and wait for the new roots. That again take a week or two, once they have re-rooted it can be given water again but only when thoroughly dry.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
cacnea

Post by cacnea »

adetheproducer wrote:That looks like it's got worse since the ID request. I would recommend surgery. Cut off that nice and green stem and the other green sections let them dry and scab over which takes a week or two the repot in a pure mineral soil mix no actual organic material and wait for the new roots. That again take a week or two, once they have re-rooted it can be given water again but only when thoroughly dry.
Thank you so much- I did not suspect rotting in the least when I asked for identification, but it really deteriorated over the course of the last few days. I'll see what I can salvage- but I'm just happy that there's still a chance to save it. :silent:

edit: After isolating the best stems, I decided to examine the roots for rot- and they were completely dried out! The base of the plant was practically wood. I assume the cactus was like this when it was given to me, since it already had patches. Is this a normal occurrence, or a care-giving error? I can only assume it hasn't been watered enough, but I have been watering it when the soil dries out completely.
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

Woody stems are natural corking it can be brought on by age usually but other stresses as well. It looks ill so when cutting off the good bits mach such the cuts expose nice bright green inside if it's brown keep cutting away.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
cacnea

Post by cacnea »

adetheproducer wrote:Woody stems are natural corking it can be brought on by age usually but other stresses as well. It looks ill so when cutting off the good bits mach such the cuts expose nice bright green inside if it's brown keep cutting away.
The cactus has been replanted in suitable soil, so I am now waiting for the new roots. Should I not attempt to water it at all over the course of the re-rooting process? (aka, does it need any watering or special care before the new roots grow?) Thank you so much for your help!
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

Leave it dry until new roots grow if you water before the plant can't do anything with it and could cause it to rot. When it does grow roots be sparing with the water until the new root ball develops. Opuntiod cacti tend to re root quick quickly so it should not take long.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND