Frozen lophophora

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
crispy224

Frozen lophophora

Post by crispy224 »

Long story short this little guy got exposed to some freezing tempuratures. He's a little soft and squishy. Do you guys think he'll eventually out grow the scarring or will he just continue to shrivel until he's dead?
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (35.68 KiB) Viewed 1159 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (37.17 KiB) Viewed 1159 times
Aiko

Re: Frozen lophophora

Post by Aiko »

For now I suspect it will be fine. Doesn't look that bad. Shriveling is not a bad sign, really! A bit squishy is fine too (it is shriveling after all), just as long as it does not turn into mushy. Does it smell? A bad smell is a bad sign.

They should be able to handle some frost, even quite severe frost. But still some individual plants will not tolerate it.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Cacti can handle freezing better when they're a little bit shriveled. It's probably fine.
Spence :mrgreen:
crispy224

Post by crispy224 »

Ok thanks. There is No smell to it. So just keep and above freezing and don't water it correct?
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Very indeed do not water at all...! At least not before it is warm again.
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

I froze quite a few of my lophophora this year as well most were coveted in frost and only lost one which did turn to green mush. The most just scarred over where the frost had them but my diffusa required a little surgery to cut off a bit which started to rot before it could dry out. I ended up brining mine into my light box where I keep my seedlings so they could warm up wake up and dry the frost bitten bits more quickly. They are now residing on my kitchen windowsill unitl the worst of the winter weat her breaks. But yes no water keep it dry and warm and you should be ok. It's only if it was plump with water when it took the freeze it would do any damage.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
crispy224

Post by crispy224 »

Well it wasn't plump with water when it was exposed to cold temps but it wasn't soft and shriveled. I wanna say it had been watered about a month before the cold exposure
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

How cold did it get? Mine go down to about -13°c each winter when it gets very cold. The only reason it differed this year and damaged them was the damp weather we had at the same time and my least strict condensation clearing. I had not ventilated the green house and the cold snap came of of nowhere so I got frost inside the green house all over the plants. If yours was not covered in frost/ice it will most likely be fine and even then it may still be fine. The only one I lost was a recent purchase so I had no idea when it was last watered and it had been grown in an organic soil so was quite plump still. All my preexisting lophs lived on ignoring some scars they are in perfect health.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND