Dropped Cactus

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
mj5181

Dropped Cactus

Post by mj5181 »

I have had my cactus for over ten years, and it was knocked over a few days ago. The top split open, but nothing broke off. The middle was also slightly bent. I gave it some extra support and repotted it, hoping that it would heal itself. Unfortunately, the top has started to turn black and is now looking pretty wilted. I have attached some pictures of the day that it fell as well as today. I'm not sure whether I should just cut the top off or if I need to cut a piece off and replant it to start a new cactus
Attachments
cactus today
cactus today
Cactus4.jpg (241.42 KiB) Viewed 1196 times
shows where cactus was split
shows where cactus was split
Cactus3.jpg (275.07 KiB) Viewed 1196 times
shows where cactus was bent
shows where cactus was bent
Cactus1.jpg (320.71 KiB) Viewed 1196 times
esp_imaging

Re: Dropped Cactus

Post by esp_imaging »

Chop the top off, down to where the stem is healthy. It will then grow new shoots, normally just below the cut, but maybe from the base.

Otherwise, you could chop it off close to the ground, and it will sprout from low down. You could then use the main stem as a cutting (after remoiving the damaged end).
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
mj5181

Post by mj5181 »

I cut the top off down to where there was no more rot showing, but the cactus has started to rot from the top down again. should I make another small cut or is there something else that I can try?
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Rot has to be cut off, no other treatment available. Sterilize the knife (alcohol works) and make sure you remove any trace of discoloration. Dust the cut with sulfur powder (Flowers of Sulfur, available at drug store or online) or another fungicide.
Spence :mrgreen: