Sick succulents

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
StarDragon

Sick succulents

Post by StarDragon »

My variegated elephant bush(portulacaria afra variegata), watch chain crassula(crassula muscosa), & a sedum treleasei cutting sprout, are drooping & are more pale or slightly yellowish. This is likely due to a drop in temperature, although it did not freeze. I'm wondering if they will recover because it did not freeze?
One source said the elephant bush will recover. Another two implied the watch chain is sickly(apparently), but will recover. I have moved all three plants into a warmer area.

I could not find anything specific on whether or not they will recover from that exact situation(temperature drop, but no frost).
esp_imaging

Re: Sick succulents

Post by esp_imaging »

My C. muscosa goes a bit yellow in the winter too, then greens up in the spring. It is in a cold place, certainly close to freezing at times.
I can't imagine a cold but not freezing spell will do any of them lasting harm if they were dry. Letting them droop while it remains cold is normally much safer than watering them to try to get them to swell up again.
Irrespective of what opinions you get, time will tell if there was any damage or not.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
Brontosaurus

Post by Brontosaurus »

I think keeping them above freezing, watering them sparingly, and waiting until spring should do the trick.
StarDragon

Post by StarDragon »

They did not survive. Fortunately, those species are easy to find.