Sick cacti

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
alcelent

Sick cacti

Post by alcelent »

Trying to help save mother in laws Christmas cactus. Found it with moldy base and soil. I unpotted it, washed all the roots and plants and here's what I have now. I'm not sure what to cut away because nothing is slimy or mushy. I've save a bit to propagate just in case. I've let it sit out for about 24 hrs and about my ready to try to repot. Any advice? Is it salvageable? Thanks all!!! Xoxo
Attachments
20170213_200705-288x512.jpg
20170213_200705-288x512.jpg (55.07 KiB) Viewed 759 times
20170213_200730-288x512.jpg
20170213_200730-288x512.jpg (42.75 KiB) Viewed 759 times
greenknight

Re: Sick cacti

Post by greenknight »

If there's no rot, it should do fine. I wonder if the "mold" wasn't really mineral salts. This is commonly seen in old plants, especially if they're fertilized much - if the soil isn't flushed out periodically, a process called "leaching", salts will build up until they start to crystallize on the surface. This looks much like mold, but there's no rot. The plant will not be able to take up water as well due to the salt in it and will become unhealthy. Repotting with fresh mix is best at that point, though it could be leached out and be okay.

Don't hesitate to prune it back to make a fuller, bushier plant. These are very easy to grow from cuttings, just stick a piece in a pot and it will almost always grow. I used to stick cuttings in 3 inch pots and they would bloom in one year, then move them into 4 inch pots for several years. Or you can put a few cuttings in a 4 inch pot, then divide the clump when they start to crowd.
Spence :mrgreen:
alcelent

Post by alcelent »

Oh that makes sense! Bc nothing is mushy so maybe it was just like you said. I'm going to try to use filtered or distilled water when I do water it. I just planted last night and I've read that you shouldn't water it for a week. I have also read some folks spritzing the stems every day though before watering. Any opinion?
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Daily misting might help a little. but I don't think it makes a big difference - it only raises the humidity for a short time.
Spence :mrgreen:
alcelent

Post by alcelent »

thank you! i've been debating with the misting subject for a while!