Ferocactus Latispinus Seedlings

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
ricelg

Ferocactus Latispinus Seedlings

Post by ricelg »

Friends

I'm fearful my Ferocactus Latispinus seedlings are getting a little more water than they'd like. Any advice/opinions on their health based on the attached pics? Thanks,
Larry
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (39.84 KiB) Viewed 2182 times
IMG_0288.JPG
IMG_0288.JPG (55.9 KiB) Viewed 2182 times
IMG_0289.JPG
IMG_0289.JPG (46.89 KiB) Viewed 2182 times
greenknight

Re: Ferocactus Latispinus Seedlings

Post by greenknight »

They look healthy. The mix they're growing in looks too high in organic matter to me, be very careful not to over water.
They can stand a bit of drying out at this stage, so err in the dry side if you're in doubt about watering.
Spence :mrgreen:
ricelg

Post by ricelg »

OK, thanks. What risks are associated with too much organic matter? I was consciously planning to switch to a little less organic mix, but not until they were a little older
7george

Post by 7george »

ricelg wrote:OK, thanks. What risks are associated with too much organic matter? I was consciously planning to switch to a little less organic mix, but not until they were a little older
Fungus growth and rot, of course. Keep them warm at let the substrate to dry before watering. It's never to early to re-pot and transfer into other mix. Do this when the old and new soil will be ~dry. Some are crowded and many are planted not deep enough.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
ricelg

Post by ricelg »

OK, thanks!
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Organic soil will stay wet longer, much easier to avoid over-watering with a mostly mineral mix. Also, sciarid flies (aka fungus gnats) like to lay their eggs in damp organic soil, and the larvae are very destructive to seedlings.
Spence :mrgreen:
ricelg

Post by ricelg »

Thanks for the tips. I've created a more mineral mix and will repot tomorrow.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

I have been growing some seed from my own flowering Ferocactus latispinus. But only for about ... oh wow ... i don't know ... maybe 4 to 6 months?

At any rate, your post was done in what? March? So your seedlings are a little bit older than mine are. And I would dearly love to see what yours look like NOW. Would you be so kind as to post some new pictures of their current state? Or maybe even email them to an email address that I will PM you with.

Mine are sitting in a largely mineral base. It LOOKS more organic than it is ... but that's because part of the mineral content is 1/4" black lava rock. I'd say about 40% organic. I'm thinking of going 75% mineral and 25% organic for the next time I repot. Especially as Ferocactus latispinus is a thrifty cactus and only wants a moderate amount of water.

===============
My Seedlings

My seedlings (or some of them anyway, I didn't think you'd want to see them all) now, planted in various plastic containers. I found that the peat cups dried out too fast. I had to water them everyday. They're sitting in a bright window inside.
1.JPG
1.JPG (211.97 KiB) Viewed 1381 times
I've started a new watering scheme. Water the seedling thoroughly ... and I mean THOROUGHLY. And then weight it with a kitchen scale (everybody has a kitchen scale ... and if you don't, you can get one from Amazon for around $10) on the Gram scale. Write this measurement on the outside of the container next to "WET". Now, weigh it everyday (same time-ish), write the date and the weight on the container. Or wherever is convenient. You'll see that the container loses a certain amount of water everyday. for example, lets say 10 grams. At one point, when the pot is close to being REALLY dry, it will only lose a couple of grams per day. Now, the seedling is DRY. Record that weight on the pot next to "DRY". Now you'll know what it weighs soaking wet, what it weighs when it is almost bone dry and where along its water loss course it is from day to day. Weigh it again before watering, and when it gets close to bone dry (or maybe even after it is bone dry, considering Ferocactus latispinus propensity to only wanting a moderate amount of water), water it again. SOME of my seedlings are looking kinda fat ... like the two in the next two pictures

I've been REAL, REAL specific about what to do above and where and what to write things. Don't be offended ... I don't really think you are stupid ... it was all for humor's sake.
2.JPG
2.JPG (148.09 KiB) Viewed 1381 times
Can you see that the tips of the spines are already starting to get some color? They are darn sure sharp enough and rigid enough to give you a good stick.
3.JPG
3.JPG (177.49 KiB) Viewed 1381 times
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
ricelg

Post by ricelg »

Wayne,

Thanks for asking. Will send you the pics offline. Ours look very similar. I've had mine outside most of the year but had to bring them inside with this awful cold weather.

Larry
lagirafa

Post by lagirafa »

How do you get it to produce seedlings or babies??? Mine never had puppies
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

lagirafa wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:01 pm How do you get it to produce seedlings or babies??? Mine never had puppies
From seeds
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
lagirafa

Post by lagirafa »

ElieEstephane wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:02 pm
lagirafa wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:01 pm How do you get it to produce seedlings or babies??? Mine never had puppies
From seeds
Does this type only grow from seed? Haven't been able to find any around here.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

lagirafa wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:21 pm
ElieEstephane wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:02 pm
From seeds
Does this type only grow from seed? Haven't been able to find any around here.
There are dozens of seed sellers online. If you are in the US try cactusstore.com
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen: