*Update* Dysfunctional Cactus

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Gitona

*Update* Dysfunctional Cactus

Post by Gitona »

Hi everyone I would like for you guys to meet Bob. I've had him since 2008 and I believe he is a barrel cactus type. He used to be just a poofball on the dirt. *sniffle* Oh, how the years fly by!

Anyways, I was taking care of him up until about a year ago and then my mom let him stay with her and...just...things went wrong? #-o I am assuming she overwatered or under watered etc.

I was thinking about cutting him in a way that gets rid of that middle part. I would repot his lower half and then pot his upper that looks so healthy.

Does this seem like a solid approach? I have some cactus soil in the mail and I was thinking about buying a rooting hormone as well.

I want to try whatever I can.

*UPDATE*

So here's Bob after the massacre. I am so surprised that he looks healthy even in the middle. I am wondering if I can even try to plant the middle or maybe I'm being too optimistic. I put them all in a room near a window that gets low light. I will watch their progress. Let's hope this all turns out well haha
Attachments
I really am unsure of his exact type
I really am unsure of his exact type
Bob3.0.jpg (107.44 KiB) Viewed 605 times
Close up of possibly rotting place
Close up of possibly rotting place
Bob4.jpg (157.12 KiB) Viewed 605 times
I hope the bottom of him is salvageable
I hope the bottom of him is salvageable
Bob.jpg (102.62 KiB) Viewed 605 times
Poor Bob
Poor Bob
Bob1.jpg (122.06 KiB) Viewed 499 times
Surprisingly healthy looking
Surprisingly healthy looking
Bob 2.jpg (68.17 KiB) Viewed 499 times
Tried to cut it at angle
Tried to cut it at angle
Bob 3.jpg (70.19 KiB) Viewed 499 times
Last edited by Gitona on Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greenknight

Re: Dysfunctional Cactus

Post by greenknight »

Sure, you could do that. If that is rot, cutting it out is the only way to save the plant. Is it mushy there? A rotten patch would be.
Spence :mrgreen:
Gitona

Post by Gitona »

greenknight wrote:Sure, you could do that. If that is rot, cutting it out is the only way to save the plant. Is it mushy there? A rotten patch would be.
I poked around a bit and it doesn't seem horribly mushy but it IS more soft and giving than the rest.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Could it have gotten sunburned there?

In any case, it clearly went through a period when it was etiolated - making abnormally thin growth due to low light. It should look like this - http://www.cactiguide.com/cactus/?genus ... =magnifica . Cutting that section out is the only way to fix it.

I would leave the top of the stump cut at an angle so that water will run off, if you cut it straight across it will form a cup when it dries. It should grow into a nice clump, in a few years the original stump won't even be visible. Root the top as a cutting, a good big cutting like that should root easily, Here's a site that shows the technique - http://www.cactusinfo.net/propagation.htm . The cutting in their example is about the minimum size to be viable, bigger is better.
Spence :mrgreen: