URGENT! possible rot!

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
ElieEstephane

URGENT! possible rot!

Post by ElieEstephane »

So while taking out my cacti out of winter storage i noticed some weird looking spots on 1 of them. I immediately thought it' rot. However, it's not soft or mushy, it's hard. I don't know what to think. Should i cut and re-root? Will this little guy take it(less than an inch in diameter and 4-5" tall)?
Also can someone please identify the cactus.
Ps: this is not the actual soil. It's a bit of mulch on top to protect the roots in the cold.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
7george

Re: URGENT! possible rot!

Post by 7george »

The plant looks fine, give it more sun light and it will heal these spots. Shortening may not help. Check if the roots look OK.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
hegar

Post by hegar »

To me too it looks like your plant was injured, but is otherwise healthy. The injury should heal and cork over and the cactus will continue to do fine. I would take a close look at the lesion. Is it dry and covered by a skin-like tissue? Is it growing or do you see a brownish discoloration within it or at its periphery?
Any injury can be detrimental to a cactus, because a break of the epidermis opens up a portal of entry for micro organisms, mainly bacteria and fungi. So, until it has healed, you should try to avoid any contact of the wound with soil.
Some of my cacti have actually burst near the soil line, most likely, because they were either overwatered or too plump, when we did have night frosts. However, because of the rather dry air here, the injuries do heal quickly and the plants do recover.

Harald
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Thanks so much guys! I will leep and eye on it and check the roots while repotting.
Any ideas about the species?
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
hegar

Post by hegar »

It seems like nobody wants to take a good guess about the genus for your cactus.
To me it looks like an Echinopsis sp.. However, I may be totally wrong. Once your plant flowers, it will become much more clear, and then it could perhaps even have a species name assigned.

Harald