Mealy bugs -_- please advise course of action

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
ElieEstephane

Mealy bugs -_- please advise course of action

Post by ElieEstephane »

So my peanut cactus (so many names for it :roll: ) had one side to the wall and i never looked at it. Today i discovered a mealybug and killed it. Can you spot another one i missed?
Anyways, whats the course of action here? Should i spray some pesticide or i should decapitate it? It would be a shame to decapitate since i have more than a dozen flower buds and it's the first time it flowers. If i decapitate i could lose half of them.
Also what would u say is the optimal offset size that can be rooted since im in no shortage of offsets.
Thank you.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
hegar

Re: Mealy bugs -_- please advise course of action

Post by hegar »

Mealybugs are very hard to kill. Based on my experience with them, I would use a systemic insecticide applied when you would normally water your plant. The cactus will pick up the insecticide through its roots and it will be distributed throughout the plant that way, making the cactus toxic to insects feeding on it.
I have also seen advice by some forum members which suggest, that you use a Q-tip dipped in alcohol to kill these persistent insects Then you will have a long treatment process ahead of you, because you most likely will not reach (find) all the mealybugs. They do hide in hard to reach places on the plant.

Harald
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

hegar wrote:I have also seen advice by some forum members which suggest, that you use a Q-tip dipped in alcohol to kill these persistent insects Then you will have a long treatment process ahead of you, because you most likely will not reach (find) all the mealybugs. They do hide in hard to reach places on the plant.

Harald
I have already began this treatment. I relieved i dont have have to decapitate!
Thanks for your reply. Care to comment on rootable offset size?
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

The young mealy bugs are tiny, almost invisible, crawlers - if you see mealies you should always assume there are more you can't see. Other plants nearby may also be infested.

I've gotten good results with insecticidal soap (actually, I use Fels Naptha laundry soap, very cheap), totally drench the plants with it. It has no residual effect, though, and it doesn't kill the eggs - you should repeat the treatment 2 or 3 more times at weekly intervals. You can use it along with the systemic to get quicker results.

These root easily, even small offsets will root. Bigger ones will produce a substantial plant more quickly. Some of yours are adequate size.
Spence :mrgreen:
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Thanks greenknight! Very helpful info!
hegar

Post by hegar »

There are several kinds of systemic insecticides available to the home grower. I am using the Bayer Tree and Shrub Insect Control pesticide with 1.47% active ingredient of imidacloprid. There are other formulations and brands that also contain the same insecticide or a different one. According to the label on the bottle, one treatment gives control for at least the growing season. Actually it states, that it does have a 12 month effectiveness.

Harald
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

hegar wrote:There are several kinds of systemic insecticides available to the home grower. I am using the Bayer Tree and Shrub Insect Control pesticide with 1.47% active ingredient of imidacloprid. There are other formulations and brands that also contain the same insecticide or a different one. According to the label on the bottle, one treatment gives control for at least the growing season. Actually it states, that it does have a 12 month effectiveness.

Harald
Thanks hegar! Will look into this option.