Is my cactus rotting?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
ElieEstephane

Is my cactus rotting?

Post by ElieEstephane »

This is a cactus seedling i just bought today. After washing away the peat i noticed a brownish spot. Is this the start of rotting or am i just paranoid? Can a cactus this small( 2-2.5") reroot if i were to cut off the infected area?
Also would anyone know the species? Im guessing myrtilloccactus due to the blackish spination.
Thank you.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
greenknight

Re: Is my cactus rotting?

Post by greenknight »

Could be just a scar. Is that patch soft? Unless it's mushy there, I would just leave it bare root for several days to a week and let it dry (Best to do that anyway after cleaning the roots). Check it every day, it should quickly become obvious if it's rot, it will spread and get mushier.

It's plenty big enough to re-root, but it probably isn't necessary.
Spence :mrgreen:
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

greenknight wrote:Could be just a scar. Is that patch soft? Unless it's mushy there, I would just leave it bare root for several days to a week and let it dry (Best to do that anyway after cleaning the roots). Check it every day, it should quickly become obvious if it's rot, it will spread and get mushier.

It's plenty big enough to re-root, but it probably isn't necessary.
Thanks greenknight! It's not mushy but im just a bit paranoid. We dont have locally grown cacti, they're all imported from holland. They're planted in pure peat and local nuseries water them as they would water flowers so it's better safe than sorry.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
7george

Post by 7george »

Yes, leave it for some days dry (or put some sulfur powder on the spot) and plant it into new soil and so on. If at later time things get worse and you decide to cut off all lower part of the plant it will re-root easily, this is an young plant. Looks like Pilosocereus to me.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

7george wrote:Yes, leave it for some days dry (or put some sulfur powder on the spot) and plant it into new soil and so on. If at later time things get worse and you decide to cut off all lower part of the plant it will re-root easily, this is an young plant. Looks like Pilosocereus to me.
Thanks 7george! I wanted to cut and reroot and avoid the trouble but i'll leave it to dry for a few days.
My thoughts exactly on pilosocereus. Maybe pilosocereus tweedyanus.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Root rot from overwatering starts in the bottom of the pot, where the soil is saturated. This sort of thing would be from injury that occurred when it was transplanted - if it was going to rot from that, it probably would have done so already. Do keep an eye on it, but I expect it's already healed.

Agreed on Pilosocereus.
Spence :mrgreen:
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

greenknight wrote:Root rot from overwatering starts in the bottom of the pot, where the soil is saturated. This sort of thing would be from injury that occurred when it was transplanted - if it was going to rot from that, it probably would have done so already. Do keep an eye on it, but I expect it's already healed.

Agreed on Pilosocereus.
Thanks! Very comprehensive answer!